Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-18-2004, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
Gelcoat Cleaning

I am getting close to finishing the mechanical concerns on a boat I bought a few months ago and I'm getting ready to clean this boat up. I have played around a bit with vinegar and water and hand applying rubbing coumpound and wax to try to remove the water spots and faded discoloration below the water line. It hasn't worked, but now I'm going to get real serious about attacking this project. How do I start and how do I finish? I want to make this boat look as nice as some of the boat pictures I've seen posted here. I'm not afraid of work so feel free to give advice and I'll get busy. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:57 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've never tried it, but I've heard a lot of people who've been pleased with the results they've gotten from snobowl toilet cleaner (you heard right) for the water spots. Others have done well with vinegar and water solutions. Just stay away from anything with bleach in it and you'll do alright. I've always used a very mild soap dilluted heavily in water as my manual recommends.

McGuire's car wax and a random orbit buffer has been highly recommended, although a hand buffing has always worked for me. A polishing compound helps, and if it doesn't, a rubbing compound will probalby do well (just make sure you work your way back up the chain to wax). I've heard people have good results with the 3M products.

Don't use armour all on the seats. Use 303 protectant. A mild soap and water (heavily dilluted) combination will usually take care of your upholstery. I hear the MasterCraft vinyl cleaner will take out the rest.

Finally, when all is said and done, put the cover on the boat, even if it's inside. Keeping the dirt off is the key to keeping it clean. When you take it out of the water. Wipe it down religiously. Wax it about twice per season.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
There's a thread on the MBO site where a 50-50 mix of Hydrogen Peroxide and Lysol Toilet Bowl cleaner is recommended. Lots of positive comments from those who have tried it. (I haven't as of yet).

I've watched the detailers at the dealership spray on a commercial toilet bowl cleaner (high in Muriatic Acid) onto hulls that have literally an inch or more of algae & crud stuck to them - it dissolves in a couple of hours.

I tried a more mild ("Toilet Duck") product after picking up some algae scum on mine this summer -- didn't work well at all -- too much elbow grease... If I end up in that condition again next summer, I'm definitely going to try the 'MBO mix'.

After that, a good bottom wax, fiberglass wax, and 303 on the vinyl and you're in great shape...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
We had some dark river stains and we couldn't get it off very easy. We went to West Marine and they guy said "this is some strong S**t it should take care of ya" he advised that you be very careful when using it. I would recomend it... but put a bag over your metal parts because it corrodes them almost instantly. what is this mystery solution? On-Off it did the whole boat in 5 mins. Its factory white again!

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I've used bathroom cleaner like x7 and even a lysol brand that worked and yes it is WORK because you must wax afterward. Think of it this way, you've cleaned the surface of the gelcoat so clean that it now needs something to protect the porous surface from crudding up again.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
There are many excellent methods for cleaning up the gel coat, as posted above. The fading, though, is oxidation and will need to be compounded and polished out. There are other threads that explain what is needed to do this.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
Thrall... are you cleaning off the same apache lake stuff I am? I think I read everything and this is what I got. This is in addition to the above posts. McGuires no. 49 Heavy duty Oxidation and Scratch remover. 3M Industrial Marine Grade Buffing Compound then seal with 3M Finesse It or McGuires Mirror Glaze. 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer/Wax then seal with 3M Ultra High Performance Wax. If you have a small scratch you can use 2400 and 3600 micro mesh sandpaper soaked overnight in water. Carpet cleaning looks like Woolite with oxyclean or 409 Spray carpet cleaner. Upholstery protectant 303..Is there a brand name and where do you buy it? Will a 1650 RPM Craftsman electric 6" Polisher do the trick on the rubbing compounds and wax buffing or do I have to increase to a 2500 or above polisher?

Last edited by rasmithaz; 10-19-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You can get the 303 at Overtons.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Tgchrist

If the gelcoat is highly faded definitely go with the Mequires,49. Light fade go with color restorer, 44. Then the 3M finnesse it and 3M high performance wax. I have used a lot of different waxes and the 3M is the best. Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Where do you find the Meguiar's 49?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner