Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-17-2004, 01:04 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Stress Cracks in Gel Coat

Over the last couple of years, my old 82 has had some stress cracks develop in the deck near the stern. They are mostly in a raised area near the back, in an area that frequently gets stepped on when going to and from the swim platform.
When I took the cover off the boat today I was suprised to see how dirty it was under the cover. After wiping off the back of the boat, I was suprised how the stress cracks showed up with some dirt in the surface of the cracks. I know the dirt will clean out, but it sure did make me think it may be time to do something about them, but what?
I have read where some have had the gel coat repaired. How do you go about getting this done?
Would this fix my stress cracks, or at least make them look better?

Last edited by ski_king; 10-17-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Powerslot, a good glass person can repair those and match the metalflake.
They sand it down close to the glass and then spray the gelcoat and spread it out over a larger area.
The other problem is that usually the hull has aged and discolored over the years and you don't notice until you get a ding or scratch.
When new gel coat is sprayed, the entire boat should be buffed to match.
It's a lot of hours and can get very costly and will need to be done off trailer. The guy that did mine has a special hydraulic system that holds the boat and rotates it in different positions. It was 2 hours just to remove the boat from the trailer and mount it.
I'm very happy with my results but did not have any cracks to deal with. I had a full buff, detail with decal work, and new rub rail.
There aren't many people out there that do this work and you need to make sure they are good. The shop that did mine has been around for close to 30 years. They know this and charge big bucks for their work but it's great to see that new shine and luster on the boat again!
You have a special boat there and IMO it would be worth doing.

Last edited by stevo137; 10-17-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Very nice looking boat you have Stevo.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th_197
Very nice looking boat you have Stevo.
35th, Thanks much! Same to you! That pic of yours with the side view looks great. I remember seeing your 35th in the showroom. That is some beautiful boat and trailer package! We are very happy with the "25th" and it runs very strong!