Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 ProStar 190
Teak Swim Platform- Cleaning/Stripping

Am looking for some general advice is in stripping & refininshing my teak swim platform. So far I've tried an acid wash and power washing, and neither worked.

So this morning I just got out my random orbital sander and it worked preaty good in getting off all the old finish (Silkens) and cleaning up the wood. Spent the past 2 handsanding the edges and in between the lateral boards. Have a couple questions if anyone can help:

-any suggestion on getting the old finish and rough wood out of the grooves in between the lateral boards, and the flat end boards in between the lateral boards??

-how much of that old finish should I get out?

-should I still acid wash/bleach the wood before restaining?

Thanks,
Old 06-10-2006, 03:15 PM
TT Regular

The previous owner of mine used some sort of polyeurethane which took me 8 hours of manual sanding to get off. Once I got all the old stuff off and sanded smooth, I simply applied 3-5 coats of teak oil. I've been told if you use the teak oil while sanding with a fine grit, you can get an unbelievably smooth and shiny finish. I didn't think that would do well wet (slippery). Some guys here have taken their platform apart to sand it but I left mine as one piece and just folded sand paper over to get into the grooves.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
EMS,

the best thing to do would be to take apart the platform to get into the open spaces in the platform. It'll be a pain, but that's the only way you'll be able to get all that sikkens off.

As to how much you need to take off....all of it in my opinion. Get it off, then use an oil treatment as iokua said. If you are determined to re-varnish, just get most of it off, then put on more sikkens.

Teak should be natural imho.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
EMS, welcome. In the FAQ, there is a link to TMCNo1's teak refinishing. It may be helpful to you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 ProStar 190
Thanks!

What about the use of teak brightener acid/bleach after its all sanded?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems
Thanks!

What about the use of teak brightener acid/bleach after its all sanded?
I use it and really like it! Go for it!! Starbrite makes a GREAT kit for this

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 06-11-2006, 10:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog
I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able!
Hmmm...choices are a slick, a$$-busting teak swim platform, or a fiberglass one that tracks black stuff from the non-slip rubber all over the white interior...bummer.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
[quote=skidog]I REALLY can't believe that TMC#1 hasn't posted on this tread yet! Somebody call 911!
We were at the Silver Glen River Run last weekend, and some guy had just sold a prostar that had polyurethane on the platform. Man, was it slick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYBODY that walked across it, came close to busting their a$$! I told him that it looked like a TMC#1 platform, and he told me NO WAY! He said he got the idea of urethaning from a guy named Ron Decker (R.I.P.). Well, I have seen Harold's platform and I've seen the platform on Deckers old 190, and both look nice. But the funniest thing was when this guy slipped and busted HIS own a$$ on his own platform! I only laughed after I saw that he wasn't hurt! But let this be a lesson, urethane looks good, but TOO slick to be function-able![/QUOTE

911!, May I help you? Do you have an emergency?

Apparently this was the white/black/teal boat that Rick Copley from Jacksonville owned and must have sold. He was Ron's {BEST FRIEND?]and got the idea for the clear polyurethane from Ron [who taught me the Starbrite method] after he somehow screwed up his platform right before a Oct. reunion. He spent $600 for several coats of clear primer/sealer then 40 coats of clear polyurethane after having it chemically stripped. The only real drawback other than being real slippery, if it gets chipped or scratched, you have to start over, rather than touch it up like you can with teak oil, but, I have cured all that with my Butcher Block Formica covered platform!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-11-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Hmmm...choices are a slick, a$$-busting teak swim platform, or a fiberglass one that tracks black stuff from the non-slip rubber all over the white interior...bummer.

didn't you get that black stuff replaced?