Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
My son's friend dieing at 21

My 20 year old lives with me.. He came home last night just sobbing. Seems his friend went to the doctor and has stomach cancer.. He is 21.... My son told me they had plans as they grew older....

Is it just me or do kids nowadays have more issues with life??

My sons mother ( the EX) has taken his trust money ( college). He has had 4 friends die in car wrecks.. His friend with the cancer wont tell his parents ( claims doctor said there is nothing they can do).. No wonder my son gets bummed out... Kid with cancer brother died in a car wreck a few years ago ( whole family went off the deep end for a while)... I never remember things happening this bad growing up...

Last edited by lakes Rick; 10-14-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:33 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Sorry to hear that Rick...
Is he going to get a second opinion? Maybe there is something that can be done...
Here is a site that may be worth checking out:
National Cancer Institute

Last edited by bcampbe7; 10-14-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Sorry to hear that, Rick.

I think kids today are far more aware of things than we were. They have instant communications - information overload.

As far as medical conditions go, I don't think we're experiencing an increase in mortality rate in that age group compared to years past.

As far as things related to vehicle accidents and violence, yes, I believe the world has become a far tougher place. We haven't done a great job at leaving this planet in better condition for our kids than we found it for ourselves!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 10-14-2004, 02:03 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Rick, I'm awfully sorry to hear that. Having lost my father when I was 16 to what I'm told began as intestinal cancer (among other locales), I know what it's like to deal with that sort of thing. My best to your son and his friend.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Rick. One of my best friends from college has a sister that everyone in our group got to know. She is a great chick and the kind of person that everyone loves to be around. In 1998 she was diagnoised with liaphatic cancer....at the time there wasn't suppose to be much anyone could do. 6 years later she is still proving the doctors wrong. I guess what I am saying is there always is hope.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'm sorry for your son, Rick. I have had 3 of my best friends die in "freak" accidental deaths in the last couple years. It's tough to deal with, but just be as supportive of him as you can. It means the world to still have someone to turn to when things like this happen.
It's still difficult to deal with right away, but gets easier as time passes and it has given me a better outlook on life as far as not letting daily stresses get to me (work). Made me realize how fragile life is and even though you don't plan on dying, you need to live every day as if it could be your last (within reason). Helps remind you do the important things; spend more time with your family and friends and enjoy life to the best of your financial ability (balance between saving for a rainy day/retirement and enjoying what you are able to afford).
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Rick, that is terrible news about that young man. I'm sorry to hear it.
I usually keep my beliefs to myself and know how you feel regarding the subject, but in this case I would tell him to seek the truth of God through his Son Jesus.
He can find true peace in his heart if he hasn't already.
We are all on this earth for a short time compared to eternity and have no guarantee of how long we will live.
Man it's tough to post this.
He needs to have all of the support from his family and friends and not give up.
Definately get more medical opinions.

Last edited by stevo137; 10-14-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
I got his parents name today and I am going to call them.. My son just left to go over and kick his rear to get at least a second opinion.. Gonna try.....
Old 10-14-2004, 08:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Rick, you are the right man at the right time to convince them to pull together and exhaust ALL avenues. He's too young to just give up!
Keep us posted and if it gets too personal you can always PM.
Godspeed.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Leroy

Rick; Sorry to hear, and this friend of your son needs help to go through this for sure. Friends, parents, and most people do seek faith when tough things like this hit (unless they are already deeply seated).

It seems the sphere of friends is so much larger than when I was a kid and with the improved communication you hear of so much now.

Best wishes

Last edited by Leroy; 10-15-2004 at 03:17 AM.