Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-13-2004, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
Powerslot upgrade ?

Is it possible and just exactly what's involved in upgrading a 2003 PS-197 from the standard transmission to a Powerslot?

Different Prop?
Different drive shaft & coupling?
Different shaft seal?
Different strut?
Different rudder?

Are the benefits worth the expense.

Preditor motor

Strictly slalom use
Old 10-14-2004, 12:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Everything you listed needs to be changed. Is yours lacking that much acceleration that you think you need more of a hole shot? Maybe you could call Indmar and see if they have a recal that would help. They're in Corona, so you wouldn't need to go far.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Powerslot upgrade questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
Everything you listed needs to be changed. Is yours lacking that much acceleration that you think you need more of a hole shot? Maybe you could call Indmar and see if they have a recal that would help. They're in Corona, so you wouldn't need to go far.
Never driven or skied one with a Powerslot, which is why I was asking about the benefits. I have been teaching recently at a ski school which has 4 Ski Nautique's of various ages and all have reduction gear transmissions. They do seem to have a better hole shot, not that I'm not happy with my MC, and seem to use less gas. I've read a couple posts here and am curious to hear what's involved and what the bebefits are.

What's a recal?

Last edited by crdickey; 10-14-2004 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Recal is ECM recalibration, although I don't know if they have any that will improve yours since it is a 2003. They make changes to the programs occasionally and if it's something that many boat owners will benefit from, they will make it available through the dealer network. Sometimes there is a performance issue that was unforseen during testing and they will have the dealers update the program after the company contacts the customers who have the affected boats. Most recals have to do with fuel delivery and timing under load/acceleration or temperature extremes.

If you do go with the Powerslot, you need to change everything from the transmission all the way to the prop and possibly a recal too, since the load on the motor changes with gear reduction.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
I had a significant increase in hole shot when I changed props.
I changed to an Ambush 13x13 4 blade and am going to try the Acme next season.
I lost a little top end and seem to have more turbulence and tail when starting up but am very happy with the performance and hole shot.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

New 1.23:1 Trans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
Recal is ECM recalibration, although I don't know if they have any that will improve yours since it is a 2003. They make changes to the programs occasionally and if it's something that many boat owners will benefit from, they will make it available through the dealer network. Sometimes there is a performance issue that was unforseen during testing and they will have the dealers update the program after the company contacts the customers who have the affected boats. Most recals have to do with fuel delivery and timing under load/acceleration or temperature extremes.

If you do go with the Powerslot, you need to change everything from the transmission all the way to the prop and possibly a recal too, since the load on the motor changes with gear reduction.
What would you guess the market would be for the used equipment if I decided to change out / upgrade to a Powerslot or their new 1.23:1 Trans?
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
MC Master Poster

You should have no trouble selling it on ebay or any other site like that. Even Boattrader has a section for selling parts. Just look at the prices for used parts to get what you can for whatever you sell.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM
sandsslot

Powerslot

My 93 S&S has a slot - and I looked long and hard for it. Regardless of the peak power level (which is measured at the high-end of the torque), it provides that effortless launch with added hystersis.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
If the shaft is a different size, is this going to be a problem with the hole where it goes through the hull?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Surely that's just a fitting that will need to be swapped. I can't imagine that they'd make an entirely different hull. It's just 1/8" difference afterall.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.