Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Tri-Star
Fiberglass Repair/ Crack/Paint question

I recently purchased an '89 tristar that has some cracks on the top of the bow. These are basically only cosmetic, but I would really like to get the boat looking as good as possible. From searching and reading, looks like many frown on the use of paint for MC's. I am also interested in changing the color of the gelcoat paint stripe on the side and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for that or what my options are for restoring this boat. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUSKI
I recently purchased an '89 tristar that has some cracks on the top of the bow. These are basically only cosmetic, but I would really like to get the boat looking as good as possible. From searching and reading, looks like many frown on the use of paint for MC's. I am also interested in changing the color of the gelcoat paint stripe on the side and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for that or what my options are for restoring this boat. Thanks!
where are you located?

I know a great shop outside of Washington DC
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
TT Newbie

I'm located in Clarksburg, WV (near Morgantown). DC wouldn't be too far of a drive but I'd like to keep it fairly local if possible. I would be interested in the name/number of the shop if you don't mind. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
My understanding is that the gel coat stripe, even on boats of that vintage, is actually part of the gel coat and is the full thickness of the gel coat on the rest of the hull. Usually, the gel coat, stripes and all, is the first layer sprayed on the hull mold. I'm thinking that changing the color of the stripe would be a big gel coat job. Maybe it's applied differently on your 89, though...

Gel coat restoration, gouges and scratches, is a tricky job and IMHO, something you'd want done by somebody expert in that technique. Most people with boats for any length of time have a "gel coat guy" that they know of who specializes in that stuff. If you don't know one, I'd call around to a few boat dealers and ask them who they recommend.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
TT Newbie

thanks for the advice bigmac. I kind of figured from browsing the forum that changing the color might be a bad idea. Maybe I should stick with the current color and get someone to wet sand and polish the boat.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
thanks for the advice bigmac. I kind of figured from browsing the forum that changing the color might be a bad idea. Maybe I should stick with the current color and get someone to wet sand and polish the boat.
Look at this thread here on TMC. Some great information on DIY restoration from Wakescene...he has a very thorough .pdf file of the process HERE

Last edited by bigmac; 06-06-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I'm located in Clarksburg, WV (near Morgantown). DC wouldn't be too far of a drive but I'd like to keep it fairly local if possible. I would be interested in the name/number of the shop if you
don't mind. Thanks!
Basically - look at a map of the DC area. He is just south of where 495 & 95 meet. He did about $2,000 worth of work to my '95 last year & did an awesome job. He builds boats in the off-season, does repairs when it's warm. Also, does some awesome work on Harleys.

The owner is Ray
Fiber Glass Fabricators
13600 King Charles Terrace
Fort Washington, MD 20744
(301) 292-1721

Directons (for me - anyway)
495 S (Virginia Way)
Cross Woodrow Wilson
210 S. Indian Head Hwy
5th Traffic Light - Rt on Ft. Washington Rd
3 miles, down big hill, Left at bottom of hill Warborton, follow into marina, go to boat garage
It's time to SKI.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:49 AM
MC Maniac

So - do you boat on the Yough, or on Deep Creek? My ex-inlaws used to have a place on the Yough lake/dam. Real nice area up there.
It's time to SKI.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer2880
So - do you boat on the Yough, or on Deep Creek? My ex-inlaws used to have a place on the Yough lake/dam. Real nice area up there.
I actually do most of my boating on Summersville Lake. It is in the central part of WV where I grew up. I also go to Tygart as well. I've heard that Deep Creek really gets crowded, and I didn't realize there was a lake on the Yough. I've been to OhioPyle...it is pretty cool.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I actually do most of my boating on Summersville Lake. It is in the central part of WV where I grew up. I also go to Tygart as well. I've heard that Deep Creek really gets crowded, and I didn't realize there was a lake on the Yough. I've been to OhioPyle...it is pretty cool.
Ohh - cool. I didn't realize those other places were there.

The Yough is pretty good. The ski'able part starts in Friendsville, MD & goes north to the dam (in PA). About 10 miles I think. Very deep. Problem is that the Army core of engineers start to drain the lake early July, so some of the ramps in the Friendsville area are un-reachable by late July/early August. But - the lake still has plenty of water in other areas though.
It's time to SKI.