Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-06-2006, 07:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 prostar 190
Lightbulb Axle rubbers

Hi! My trailer' s wheels are deformed (too much "opened"), I think due to the torsion rubbers inside the single axle are too much shrinked. The tyres are consumed mainly on the inside causing irregular and fast consumption and touching the fenders which caused already a tyre explosion in the highway!
I wonder if some of you had already the same kind of trouble. Is it possible to change these rubbers? I' m also thinking about changing to a laminar spring suspension axle.
I don' t know the right specifications of the trailer, but the boat is a '92 PS 190, I guess from the same time. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Qui???????
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
TT Newbie

Ok maybe I didn' t explained myself very clear (awful english!). It' s all about the suspension system that became too much relaxed over the years and now seems like the trailer is overloaded. Any help on that?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-30, 2006, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul
Ok maybe I didn' t explained myself very clear (awful english!). It' s all about the suspension system that became too much relaxed over the years and now seems like the trailer is overloaded. Any help on that?
I've never worked on a trailer with torsion bars, but I would assume they are adjustable either externally or by re-mounting them in a tighter setting. At least that is how I adjusted the ones on my dune buggy (VW bug).

I would feel comfortable making a small adjustment that way, but if the trailer is really sagging (as if overloaded) then you may need new torsion bars. Too much twist in the old ones may cause a failure in the torsion bar.

Sorry that I don't speak from first hand experience. Maybe someone can confirm my comments or give you a better solution. I know there are several people on the board who have rebuilt their trailers and should have first hand information on how to solve your problem.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
I thought you were worried about your trailer getting another trailer pregnant.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:54 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Quote:

Any chance you could post a photograph of the suspension on your trailer??

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3708&referrerid=745

My springs sagged a little causing tire rubbing and this is how I fixed mine.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 AM
TT Newbie

Ok I did the same already last year by putting some spacers raising the trailer in order to avoid the contact between the tyres and the inner side of the fenders, but this won' t solve the root cause of the problem which the consequence is that inclination of the wheels. I' ll take some pictures when I get the chance to. Thanks a lot for your reply!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:51 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
A few years ago I went to new/larger tires and had the tires just off the tread on the sides rubbing the trailer fenders at the cutouts. Even though there are axle stops on the trailer, the tires had always only slightly rubbed when the trailer sprang when hitting swags and low spots on the highway. I run 8" wide wheels, placing the rims right at the edge of the fenders when looking from above the fenders down. I had 1 1/2" longer and 1/8" thicker rear spring shackles made and replaced with new spring bolts all around. I also cured a squeek where the spring loop in the rear where the bolt goes through was rubbing the u-bracket welded to the trailer for the shackles to bolt to, as the shackles from the factory were short and causing the rub. $12.00 at a trailer shop cured all the problems.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.