Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2014, 03:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Waterproofing boat cover

My MC boat cover is now several years old and leaks like a sob. I'm going to put it though a washing machine to get rid of any dirt particles caught in the fabric and want to treat it with a waterproofing solution to minimize leakage.

1) is 303 fabric protectant / fabric guard the best choice? Amazon sells it for about $50-60 per gallon - not cheap.

2) any idea how much spray I would need for a single cover? Is one gallon too much, just right, or not enough?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X15
I have the same problem and just treated my 06 boat cover - with Neverwet / It does leave a slight film on the cover, but my boat normally spends about 6-12 nights a year outside, and only use the cover if it's raining / so for my limited time, and well for a cover that's 8 years old... I figured it was worth the try....

current:
2006 Mastercraft X15

past:
2006 Mastercraft X-1
1986 Mastercraft Skier 19
1978 Ski Tique
1987 Mastercraft ProStar
Old 09-08-2014, 03:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
I used about a half gallon of 303 on my cover. I did not wash it first, just laid the cover out in the driveway and had my 14 year old soak it well with a pump sprayer. The cover looked wet, but then it dried. The next rain indicated that the thing was well protected. Although no 100% water proof, by 2007 cover now shed water in big beads that looked like they were on roller skates. The beads of water would clump and run right off in seconds. Kinda cool to watch.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-15
Sprayed mine with cans of Scotchguard and it works great
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I used about a 1/2 gallon on my old MC tarp - just a quick question - have you noted where it leaks?

Very few quality boat tarps leak if they are properly supported, not pooling/puddling. And most of all dry inside - when I was at a marina a guy used to keep bringing his boat in complaining of tarp leaks (new boat).

His boat would sit tarped in the sun with a wet bilge, which would evaporate, pool on the tarp and mildew/drip.

He just needed to dry out his boat before covering it.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
I used about a 1/2 gallon on my old MC tarp - just a quick question - have you noted where it leaks?

Very few quality boat tarps leak if they are properly supported, not pooling/puddling. And most of all dry inside - when I was at a marina a guy used to keep bringing his boat in complaining of tarp leaks (new boat).

His boat would sit tarped in the sun with a wet bilge, which would evaporate, pool on the tarp and mildew/drip.

He just needed to dry out his boat before covering it.
As best I can tell, my cover leaks straight through the material. The cover is tight with no pooling or sagging anywhere. During a good rain storm, the interior of the boat is damp everywhere with evidence of pooling water in a number of spots, especially near edges where the cover makes contact with the boat (like the water is wicking along the cover material and then emerges where the material makes contact). Years ago, the cement under my boat would be bone dry, but recently it was dry everywhere except for under the center bilge where there was some water coming out... nowhere near as much as I would expect if there was no cover, but not bone dry anymore. It's time for more waterproofing or a new cover.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 01 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
My MC boat cover is now several years old and leaks like a sob. I'm going to put it though a washing machine to get rid of any dirt particles caught in the fabric and want to treat it with a waterproofing solution to minimize leakage.

1) is 303 fabric protectant / fabric guard the best choice? Amazon sells it for about $50-60 per gallon - not cheap.

2) any idea how much spray I would need for a single cover? Is one gallon too much, just right, or not enough?
303 fabric guard works great! 1 gallon was the perfect amount for my cover (x30). I just filled a 1 gallon pump sprayer and layed the cover out flat on the lawn, and sprayed untill the area was wet looking. I applied it this past spring and worked great all summer. it doesnt bead up as much now as it did in the spring, so im not sure how long it lasts. I would use it again.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 205, 1998
I used just over a half gallon for mine. After doing this a couple of times, I've come to the conclusion that two light coats is preferable to a single heavier coat.