Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 PM
heathwhite

Which Prop For 2000 X Star?

I dinged up the prop this weekend so it seems like a good time to upgrade. I usually run 1200lbs of ballast with a crew of 4. It has the 5.7L in it. We rarely run above 30MPH so I mainly need improved low end. I was thinking about the OJ 35.5 X 16 or the 13.25 X 15.5. Any opinions? By the way this is my first post on the site I just got my first MC this month and it's great. It feels good to be a MC owner. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathwhite
I dinged up the prop this weekend so it seems like a good time to upgrade. I usually run 1200lbs of ballast with a crew of 4. It has the 5.7L in it. We rarely run above 30MPH so I mainly need improved low end. I was thinking about the OJ 35.5 X 16 or the 13.25 X 15.5. Any opinions? By the way this is my first post on the site I just got my first MC this month and it's great. It feels good to be a MC owner. Thanks in advance.
what is the current prop size? (does it match the stock dimensions)

Page 71 of the owners manual may say what was stock, depending on if you have the 310 hp 5.7 or the 330 hp 5.7 ... the prop sizes look the same (looking at the PS205V) but the prop size does mention different cup sizes ... I would probably contact OJ directly http://www.ojprops.com/ and they may reccomend what suits your combination, one problem with going with a prop that gives you more low end (reducing your pitch to 16 or 15.5 as you pondered), the prop may actually allow you to go above the RPM rev limiter for your engine, just be aware of that

"Cupped Blade - a blade that has a lip built into its trailing edge. (Most do) The lip generally helps a prop hold water. It also adds the equivalent of about 1/2-inch to one-inch of pitch." - from link in my signature

Last edited by PendO; 06-04-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I agree that professional advice is in order. In addition to OJ, I'd call Acme. They are very knowledgeable and will give you good advice. BOTH OJ and Acme make good propellers these days. Likewise, both place are very customer oriented and will usually loan out propellers to help you make sure you got the right one.