Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
kell, I will post 2 pics (XTP mastercraft OEM as a Zero Flex)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM
MC Maniac

New Dimensions ... the geometry seems different to me? both follow the windo frame the same, but go up at different angles?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
I think your right PendO.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
OK, so got w/ the welder yesterday, and he quoted me approx? 250 bucks to repair the crack. He wanted to weld a plate over the damage, and promised me it would look like crap and may or may not last ;( He was trying to talk me into building a new one for 900 bucks. He also said he would Tig weld it, not Mig, so I was scared like a little girl and ran. Still searching for the part, and my father-in-law is going to see another welder Monday.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Wow, I have a couple of questions-1st-You guys make welding sound like brain surgery
I watched a thing on the discovery channel about putting the Alaska Oil pipeline together ... welders were the highest paid and most skilled workers (if I remember) ... but they had to dig a bunch of pipe up b/c some of the weld x-rays were faked by the imaging company to save time ... a royal PITA, but man, it was an interesting show, wish I had recorded it.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:23 PM
MC Devotee

update: My father-in-law got w/ a local welder he's fond of, and here's the finished product. I also spoke to Matt at Xtreme, who can supply a replacement part for $330 bucks, with an 8 day lead time, and 40$ for shipping. I thought that was pretty reasonable. This weld was 20 bucks. I was pretty happy w/ it. Whatta ya think? No idea what kind of welder he used but Dad-in-law said the machine (<--technical term) was huge. Guy mentioned he did not want to connect the welds as he thought it might too much heat for very little benefit

Props to Mike @ 'MC of Charlotte' for rummaging thru his scrap piles trying to hook me up.

Thanks all, appreciate the input.....
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-10 2004 350MCX
Looks good Mitch! Did they do any testing in the weld & weld area to verify there are no stress cracks from excessive heat or weld imperfecations?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalanic
Looks good Mitch! Did they do any testing in the weld & weld area to verify there are no stress cracks from excessive heat or weld imperfecations?
Nope, but he guessed excessive heat was the culprit. He looked it over and said the other welds looked fine. thx
Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch
update: My father-in-law got w/ a local welder he's fond of, and here's the finished product. I also spoke to Matt at Xtreme, who can supply a replacement part for $330 bucks, with an 8 day lead time, and 40$ for shipping. I thought that was pretty reasonable. This weld was 20 bucks. I was pretty happy w/ it. Whatta ya think? No idea what kind of welder he used but Dad-in-law said the machine (<--technical term) was huge. Guy mentioned he did not want to connect the welds as he thought it might too much heat for very little benefit

Props to Mike @ 'MC of Charlotte' for rummaging thru his scrap piles trying to hook me up.

The repair looks good ... I'd probably get the replacement part anyway as the shipping and price seem reasonable, and if you ever go to sell the boat someone might have some concerns ... glad to know we can get replacent parts from the manf. if we need to
Old 10-17-2006, 10:11 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch

BTW the 20 dollar tower weld repair held up great this season. Still looks perfect