Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-12-2004, 03:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Testing a Temp. gauge

For the many years I have owned my 86 MC... the Temp. gauge never seems to move. I have check the wiring behind the dash and to the engine... all looks good. Any ideas how to trouble shoot if it is a short in the wiring, gauge itself, thermostat. Other wise boat runs good.... and I change the impeller out every season. Thoughts
Old 10-12-2004, 04:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 225 VRS LT-1
Send a message via Yahoo to Leec
Thumbs up

Is it safe to assume you have opened the thermostat housing and made sure there is a thermostat? All you have to do is go find your wife's candy thermometer, bring water to 140 degrees and stick in the thermostat and see if it opens. Then raise it to 160 degrees,then again at 180. If by chance you don't have a wife or a candy thermometer, or both, then go buy one at the grocery store. No not a wife dummy, a candy thermometer. If that all works, then you need to see what is wrong with the wiring? Could be you are not getting enough juice to cause it to register.

No one on their Death Bed ever said "I have too much Life Insurance!"

It's a Great Day at AAA !!!
Lee <><
Old 10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Lee,
Thanks for thre response. I do have a wife and a candy thermo. So I'm good to go there.
I have NO idea if there is a thermostat in the housing or not. I'll find out. Hard to get to? I have a 351 Ford.
If it does not open by the time it gets up to 160... bad therostat?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:08 PM
MC Master Poster

If the wire to the temp sender was shorted, it would peg the gauge on the high side. If it's open or the sender is open, it won't move unless the connection is intermittent. You should also check for impeller chunks stuck in the thermostat. That would keep it from closing fully.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
I had similar issue. Problem was missing thermostat. Tested temp gage using hair dryer.