Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Ben Ben is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,256
Buying used car from a smoker.

Can it be cleaned? Car is what I want and decent price but has odor.
I know you get get smoke bombs at autozone and the like.
Does it work? Should I run away fast?
It has leather seats, not sure if that is better or worse than cloth to make smoke go away. I would think better.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
clrussell's Avatar
clrussell clrussell is online now
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: None
Location: midwest
Posts: 4,376
Detail shops have an ozone creator thing that's supposed to work wonders.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
KyleNowad KyleNowad is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Boat: 2006 X9
Location: Northwest
Posts: 714
The smell can be reduced but the smoke has seeped into everything. Would it be worth the price for you to get a completely new interior that was smoke free?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is online now
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 16,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Detail shops have an ozone creator thing that's supposed to work wonders.
Search up Ozone Shock Treatment in your area. If the source of the odor is gone; they will be able to remove it for you, permanently.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
jstew jstew is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2015
Boat: 35th anniversary Mastercraft PS 197 #8 of 35 Cadillac LQ9
Location: Sage Lake, Michigan
Posts: 106
Smoke

Smell will always be there. I bought a car thinking that I could get it out, tried everything and it never went away. If you don't like the smell do not buy it because it will always be there.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
Endurance Endurance is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Boat: 1998 MasterCraft Maristar 210
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 95
I bought a BMW from a smoker. The auto detailing treatments took care of 95% of the problem right away. The remaining 5% was persistent. Every once n a while I would catch a whiff of the old smoker's car. That lasted for about five years.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Detail shops have an ozone creator thing that's supposed to work wonders.
These can be rented at Home Depot, too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
neil.anderson63's Avatar
neil.anderson63 neil.anderson63 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Boat: 2007 X2
Location: Heartland, 'Merica
Posts: 1,739
As said above the ozone treatment gets almost all the odor. Tough to get the smell out of the headliner. I used a product called Odor Ban, it worked well on carpets and seats if you get aggressive with it. Smoker smell is tough to whip. You'll get a whiff time to time. I would pass on the car and I'm a detailer.
__________________
Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Theomedic Theomedic is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
Location: Irish Hills, MI
Posts: 427
When I bought a smokers car, I opened all the doors, trunk and removed all the seats. Cleaned everything myself & let it air out for 5 days. Then I had it professionally cleaned and detailed & let it air out another 5 days and it was all good after that.
Good luck, not sure if want to do it again?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
mts205 mts205 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Boat: Coming soon
Location: Midwest
Posts: 280
Think it depends on how good the owner kept the vehicle clean to begin with, if theres ashes anywhere, just find another, but my truck was smoked in before i got it and you wouldn't be able to tell it now, replace cabin filter if it has one and put some type of odor remover on the filter itself so it will work into the hvac.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 AM.