Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Zero Off and PP agreement

I was looking around on the zero off page this morning and came across this little item.

About Zero Off & Perfect Pass?

In May of 2008 Zero Off & Perfect Pass signed an agreement that states;
1) Perfect Pass will not offer drive by wire systems to boat OEM’s beginning 2009 boat model year.
2) Perfect Pass will not offer retrofit systems for 2009 model year for drive by wire applications.
3) Perfect Pass is licensed to sell Star Gazer to its existing customer base until the beginning of 2009 boat model year.
4) Zero Off will not retrofit mechanically/servo driven applications.

I guess this means no more PP for 09 boats and newer and no zero off retrofits for older boats. Strange, but I guess that ensures each company has control over each part of the market and they wont have to compete with each other.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Wow, that's strange. Sounds like a good deal for Zero Off moving forward, but a little short sighted on Perfect Pass' part, especially losing the OEM.

About 10 years ago we dealt with two different companies for aftermarket automotive cruise controls. While there was no agreement like above, one company held fast to upgrading the older style universal mechanical cruise, while the other put all their r&d into new market electronic integration and held onto their existing universal system. One of those companies closed the doors four years ago. I'll let you guess which one.

Hopefully PP has other plans for revenue, because the market for people updating older boats cannot be as big as losing every single new boat sale.

I wonder if this is for 3-event boats only? I thought PP was still an option on some wake boats.???
Old 09-07-2012, 09:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 PS197 TT
out with the old, in with the new...what's next, more letters and numbers to add to the system? "ok, i'll take F7 36mph" ...at least i don't have to ask my boat crew weight anymore.

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Perfect Pass also got a license to Zero Off's GPS tech. This probably resulted in the more recent pure GPS system and, ultimately the Zbox add on to SG. As for retrofitting ZO to earlier boats, there are companies doing that as well. Of course, in some instances, that requires a new engine.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Bump. I am looking into speed control for my 1993 mastercraft for the slalom course on private and public lakes. Both of my ski partners have zero off in their boats and to my knowledge zero off is only available on drive by wire boats. Is this correct, and if so, which pp will be the closest to zero off? It really doesn't matter which I get, but for their sake I'd really like to have zero off as they say it's a different pull than pp.

Please excuse the dumb question, but up until a few weeks ago, I just thought that zero off was pp's version for drive my wire boats and it was all the same company! I just now realized they are two different companies!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Bump. I am looking into speed control for my 1993 mastercraft for the slalom course on private and public lakes. Both of my ski partners have zero off in their boats and to my knowledge zero off is only available on drive by wire boats. Is this correct, and if so, which pp will be the closest to zero off? It really doesn't matter which I get, but for their sake I'd really like to have zero off as they say it's a different pull than pp.

Please excuse the dumb question, but up until a few weeks ago, I just thought that zero off was pp's version for drive my wire boats and it was all the same company! I just now realized they are two different companies!

PP Stargazer with the Zbox option will be the closest thing to Zero off
Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post
PP Stargazer with the Zbox option will be the closest thing to Zero off
Will it be worth the extra money to have it? I am new to the course, so I doubt it will matter for me at this point, but if it's worth it I'll definitely upgrade.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Will it be worth the extra money to have it? I am new to the course, so I doubt it will matter for me at this point, but if it's worth it I'll definitely upgrade.
You can do it in stages. Start by getting the latest version of Perfect Pass Stargazer. The latest revision of Stargazer is really good. The Zbox has an accelerometer in it that makes it behave more like ZO. You can add that on later. Zbox install takes about 15 minutes for anyone who can use a screwdriver. My bet is you won't need it.

What I found early is that if you were skiing with people who were pretty picky about their cruise control systems (often, higher level skiers), they didn't want to ski behind a boat that did not have something comparable. So that I could get my boat into the rotation, I got what was, then, the highest level of Perfect Pass. I have been on the spot with updates since that time. Save for converting to SG and Zbox from traditional PP, the updates don't tend to be very expensive ($45 or so).

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
You can do it in stages. Start by getting the latest version of Perfect Pass Stargazer. The latest revision of Stargazer is really good. The Zbox has an accelerometer in it that makes it behave more like ZO. You can add that on later. Zbox install takes about 15 minutes for anyone who can use a screwdriver. My bet is you won't need it.

What I found early is that if you were skiing with people who were pretty picky about their cruise control systems (often, higher level skiers), they didn't want to ski behind a boat that did not have something comparable. So that I could get my boat into the rotation, I got what was, then, the highest level of Perfect Pass. I have been on the spot with updates since that time. Save for converting to SG and Zbox from traditional PP, the updates don't tend to be very expensive ($45 or so).
OK, thanks! That's what I'm thinking, for myself I think stargazer will be plenty fine but I don't want to disable my fellow skiers. One guy can get into 32 off and I'd hate to throw him off, because the more I "attempt" the course the more I see one little tweak or glitch can ruin the entire run! I'll probably go ahead and spring for the z box, heck what's another 400 when you're already dropping 1400!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Hey Doug,

Off the top of your head do you know if the stargazer boxes are flashable to different firmware? I'd bet if they are it's something you have to send to PP.