Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
TT doctors

I've posted before that I have gout. The way I found out was my knee go super swollen over the course of a week and took about 2 months to go back to normal. After it had been swollen for a week and not getting better using NSAID's, I went to the doc and got the diagnosis, and a Rx for indomethacin to treat it going forward. This happened about 2 years ago or so.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, and one of my knees starts getting a little tight, and I can tell it's starting to swell. No real pain, just swelling. The same kind of swelling that happened before, so I started taking my meds to get it to go down, but it kept getting worse. Today has been the worst day, and I was losing flexibility to where I couldn't bend my leg at the knee more than about 90*.

So I go to the gym over lunch, did a couple pull ups, and while doing a pull up felt above my knee pop, and a rush of fluid head up into my quad. About 10 minutes later, all swelling was gone and I had full mobility.

What in the heck just happened to me? I'm not complaining, this is a life saver, I'm just unsure how this would happen if it was gout. I actually have a physical scheduled today in a few hours, and was going to ask for some steroids to get the swelling to go down faster, but not anymore. Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
oh good - was thinking you were needing to be taken out back of the wood-shed and well you know... -- glad its better.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar 225, 1994, Indmar
Mike,
Sounds like you had some fluid in the bursa just above the knee and it may have ruptured. This would explain what you described, I believe. Also, not sure you had gout if not having a lot of pain. Gout usually diagnosed by draining fluid and doing an analysis and looking for gout crystals. Fluid can accumulate on the knee for a variety of reasons. When gout it is usually warm to touch, red and very, very painful. Fluid for other reasons could be arthritis, torn meniscus, etc.
Glad you are better.