Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-07-2004, 08:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
The Jimmy should be OK. I use to tow with a 1997 Jimmy and it did pretty good, make sure NOT to tow in over drive.
I did install air shocks to help the rear end of the truck and they really did the trick.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtrodj
I need a little advice - I just bought my first Mastercraft (1996 Prostar 190) with the single axle MC trailer. I think I got a pretty good deal, but the catch is I live in Michigan and I have to pick it up in Lousiana.

My tow vehilce is a 1998 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3L Vortec. It has the tow package (hitch, tranny cooler, etc.) but I just want to know what everyone thinks about the combo... Does the Jimmy have enough to pull a '96 190? Does anyone use a similar tow vehicle?

Thanks for the Help!
I have a 96 Jimmy w/same motor. it had higher gears put in the rear end to help w/gas milage. i tow my 02 197 w/no problem. I live in Fort Worth and have towed to Lake Conroe and LBJ(4 hours)a bunch w/no issues. It actually does ok on the ramp, other then sliding backwards.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
No Problem

I have a '97 Jimmy 4.3L with the factory trailer towing package (oil cooler, trans cooler, 3.73 gears, HD alternator) that I use to pull my MariStar, which is quite a bit heavier than the ProStar, through the Rocky Mountains -- absolutely no problems. All the advice here is dead on re: bearings, brakes, and making sure your jack fits..

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 10-07-2004, 01:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
We towed our BF 200 with our 1994 Blazer 4.3 Vortec. We got 187k miles out of it with no tranny problems.

There was another thread started by ekoehler that talked about a trip down to Texas (I think) and about a van with the 4.3 liter in it. Check that out. Some good tips in there.

Be nice to the tranny or you'll see it in your rear view mirror!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
Things to carry with you:
Floor jack and large Ĺ socket set for changing a tire.(the lugs on the trailer may not match your truck) also may help in getting your spare off the trailer
Grease gun, stop at 50 miles and feel for excessive heat on your bearings. And then at every stop after that. a couple shots of grease goes a long way
2 straps strap to secure back and front of boat. Hit a good bump and the back of your boat will come off the trailer. (been there / done that)
On a long trip I try to carry another spare tire. Itís easy to find someone to put a good tire on your trailer rim but itís hard to find a location to buy one. After one flat you no longer have a spare

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 10-07-2004, 03:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Everything river rat said, plus. Just normal trailering, I put 2 straps on the back tiedowns to the trlr frame. I've got the same boat and it doesn't take much of a bump to bounce the boat around on the bunks. Strap from the bow eye to the trlr or across the boat behind the windshield doesn't hurt either.
Tools: The more the better. Bring tools for tire change. Bottle jack won't fit under the axle when the tir's flat. Floor jack or scissor jack will. I think your Chev has a scissor jack. 1 spare is a must, 2 spares is advisable, or at least tow during business hrs when you can get a new tire. If possible get a wheel bearing set, so that you can replace bearings if you smoke one. It'll be hard to find them along the interstate if you need them.
A single axle trailer will be harder on tires and bearings running long distances than a tandem. Since you may not know the condition/use of the trailer, be prepard for all of the above.
Regular greasing along the way is needed, especially if the hubs are getting hotter than warm to the touch. If the hubs are hot and the grease is breaking down in viscosity, don't be afraid to pump all new grease in the bearings each time you fuel up.
It's good if your truck is tuned up and trans/t-case/rear diff oils are changed. That's a pretty good load for the S-10.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
MC Maniac

Good advice, but one more thing: I always carry an extra trailer light with me, it never fails we blow one at night 3 hours from home. I also always carry a small box with some extra wire, wire connecters and a cheap test light. We all know how well MC wires the trialers....hahaha.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Just a thought, have you considered having it delivered to you? If a S-10 Blazer gets 15-16 per gallon w/o a load you can maybe average 11 or 12 with a boat. Lets say it is 1500 miles to LA....that is 93 gallons going down and 136 gallons of gas back at $2 per gallon. That is $459 just in fuel. If you add in extra tires, etc.....it might be cheaper to strap it to the back of a semi.

A guy in the office next to me just shipped a car to CA from OH for $1500 in a covered autotrailer. I put a bid out on this site when I was looking for boats two years ago and got three or four quotes from Phoenix to Dayton for around $1200

www.1staboard.com
Old 10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
MC Maniac

I would like to know what it costs to have a boat shipped also, I have been looking for a 205 east of the mississippi due to driving distance; however if it cheap enough I could extend my search.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
I looked into this and it was going to cost around $8-$900 to have it shipped from LA to MI. I figured I could go get it for fuel costs arond half that price... I'd just incur the added milage.