Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-06-2004, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Tow Vehicle

I need a little advice - I just bought my first Mastercraft (1996 Prostar 190) with the single axle MC trailer. I think I got a pretty good deal, but the catch is I live in Michigan and I have to pick it up in Lousiana.

My tow vehilce is a 1998 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3L Vortec. It has the tow package (hitch, tranny cooler, etc.) but I just want to know what everyone thinks about the combo... Does the Jimmy have enough to pull a '96 190? Does anyone use a similar tow vehicle?

Thanks for the Help!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '05 PS 197 MCX
Should be fine. I pull mine w/ a '95 caprice v8. I have a friend who pulls his 190 w/ a tacoma 4cyl.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I think that a Jimmy will be fine. That boat/trailer is well with in the limits of the towing capability.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
Not great for regular long trip use but will work for one trip and around home use. My brother picked up my 99 MC SportStar(95-97 Prostar Hull) in FL and towed it to VT with his 4.3 Blazer. The boat is 2400lbs dry and lets say another 800-100 for trailer so your only looking at 3,500 lbs. Just make sure the trailer tires, bearding and brakes are up to the trip. My bro got two flats on the trailer on the trip north because the tires had dry rotted over 5 years. Jamie
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 10-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
I appreciate your help here. The trailer reportedly has brand new tires and a new spare so I should be in good shape with that. Does anyone know if these MC trailers have bearing buddies or do they need to be greased internally? What do I need to check for on the brakes? I'm really not firmilliar with these surge brakes...

What about straps? Do most people strap the boat (rear) to the trailer for long distances or no need?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Should have bearing buddies on their. However, ya' never know. You'll get conflicting opinions about strapping the boat to the trailer. Myself, I think it is a good idea. You can never be to safe.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 06 prostar 197
Send a message via AIM to Cody
I wouldn't worry about the truck too much either. They may not be made for every day towing like that, but a trip every now and then won't hurt. I am taking my Tacoma 6 cyl TRD 600 miles down to Dallas this weekend to pick up my newly aquired mastercraft. I never even gave it a second though as to whether the truck would make it. That whole $2.00 per gallon of gas sure hurts though.

Just in case...
I am right off I-55 in Northern MS. If you have any problems in that area let me know. I should be back Saturday, I hope.

(662)-513-3781.

Cody
Old 10-06-2004, 11:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, SportStar, 99, 350 310HP TBI,
I strap my boat down so that a minor accident doesnít end up with boat on the ground. I have a strap that goes over the back, since the platform would be in the way for the rear toe eyes. The major thing to check on the brakes is the fluid level in the tongue. For such a long trip with a smallish tow vehicle its probably worth having the brakes checked by a pro. You also might consider getting the bearings check to if they havenít been repacked or used much recently. After the FL to VT trip, I had bearing packed and new rotors/pads put on my trailer for a couple hundred. Should be good for 5 years. Jamie
98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I remove my swim platform when I tow over the road. This also gives access to the 2 rear eyes (although I don't use them). I will strap the boat down. I throw the strap over the top & wrap/duct tape wash-cloths around the strap where it touches the glass.

Otherwise - like everyone else said... you'll be fine. Be sure the spare has air in it and your jack will work on the trailer if you need it!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJC
I strap my boat down so that a minor accident doesnít end up with boat on the ground. I have a strap that goes over the back, since the platform would be in the way for the rear toe eyes. The major thing to check on the brakes is the fluid level in the tongue. For such a long trip with a smallish tow vehicle its probably worth having the brakes checked by a pro. You also might consider getting the bearings check to if they havenít been repacked or used much recently. After the FL to VT trip, I had bearing packed and new rotors/pads put on my trailer for a couple hundred. Should be good for 5 years. Jamie
where in Northern VT? My sister lives in Stowe with a Tristar 190.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.