Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-02-2006, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: POWERSTAR 200
Single to tandem axle conversion vs. a new trailer?

After having a bearing fail and destroying a hub, spindle and brake I wish I had a tandem axle trailer. Anyone ever converted a trailer or would I be better off buying a new trailer. #19MC 1998. Whats a new one cost?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I do not think a single could easily be converted to a tandum and a new one would probably be around 4 g's.

It would be much cheeper to have someone repack you bearings every year.

I understand you wants of a double axle as I have blown bearing before.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I know it's come up at least once before. For some reason, I seem to remember the consensus being that it would be expensive, but not impossible.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, ProStar 209, 2005, MCX, Zero Flex Tower, Midnight Black
Would be better to get the tandem axle trailer instead of trying to convert.
My boat came with a single axle trailer. It has the oil bath bearing assembly. I hope they are better than the grease bearings.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: POWERSTAR 200
I have replaced the bearings and seals every other year since I got the boat. Even went to the extreme to order the Koyo USA bearings that came with the trailer. Sometimes bearings just go bad like every thing else. Oil bath hubs sound like a good idea but it would be just my luck for the oil to come out. I think I may look into a galvanized tandem trailer.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
MC Hero

From my local dealer, I've been made to understand that due to rising steel costs, trailer prices are sky-high. I could be off here, but I think they told me that a tandem from Dorsey with brakes was going to run in excess of $5K. $3.5K for a single.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Skier, 1986, 351 240hp, King of slalom boats!
Convert a single to a tandam? You must have access to one heck of a welding shop. I could come over and convert my super-cab Ford into a super-crew. We would spend about the same amount of money, it would look about the same, and we would both be pissed we did it.
Buy a tandam, or fix the hub.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
MC Hero

I think 86 Craft has the right options. But if you do do it, please take lots of pictures. I'll be the first guy who cut out the closed bow of his ski boat to make it an open bow had people tell him not to do it. But I've seen pictures of a conversion and they look amazing.

Slight threadjack.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Leroy

That seems to be a lot of replacement? Do you have bearing buddies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgressette
I have replaced the bearings and seals every other year since I got the boat. Even went to the extreme to order the Koyo USA bearings that came with the trailer. Sometimes bearings just go bad like every thing else. Oil bath hubs sound like a good idea but it would be just my luck for the oil to come out. I think I may look into a galvanized tandem trailer.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
MC Hero

How many miles per year do you tow? The occassional shot of grease is all mine have ever required.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club