Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ktn_cmu
Which ones and where are they???

So, this is my first year with an inboard that needs to be winterized. I have been reading all the posts about it and it is a LOT different than my old merc 115 on the CVX-16. I plan to run antifreeze through it, then maybe drain it as well. But, I don't know where all the fittings are I need to remove to make sure I get all the necessary water out. There are a few I could guess, but am I missing some. Could someone provide a list of all the plugs, fittings, hoses, etc that need to be removed when draining the engine. It is a Ford 351 HO with GT heads. Thanks!!!

Kyle

P.S. Michigan weather means I need to hurry up and get this baby taken care of...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
You should find a drain valve on each side of the block, you'll have to get low and look below the exhaust manifolds. There will also be drain plugs (a 1/2" ratchet wrench should fit in these) on the back of each exhaust manifold. I also have a drain in the center of the muffler. You should pull the hose off your transmission cooler and let that drain as well.

After I get everything drained of water, I cycle antifreeze from the pickup hose (pulled from the trans cooler) and a discharge hose (pulled from the exhaust manifold to and from a bucket with about 4 gal of antifreeze. This way you are not watering down the antifreeze.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!!! So there are four of them (plus one on each muffler)? Now, as far as running the engine without the water lines on the exhaust, this is OK? I understand it won't circulate antifreeze through the manifolds, but is it ok to run the engine without water going through them???

Thanks again!!!

Kyle
Old 10-06-2004, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
I don't have any on my mufflers...but they are inline mufflers. One petcock on the passenger side (1/2"), one that doubles at the temp sensor on the driver side you will see a wire coming out of it and it takes a (7/8" socket). and the two plugs at the end of the exhuast manifolds.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Hey Kyle,
It is OK to run the engine for a few seconds without water..... no longer though. This will clear the water from places inside the system that don't drain well, like the mufflers.

Also, if you have a heater or shower, be sure to open them too. Some boats you have to pull the hose off, others may have a radiator flush T on it to open up.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great, I should be in good shape then. I am always a little leary of starting the engine "dry" especially when it's been that way for a few weeks as I don't want to damage the impeller...but I guess I should probably change that soon anyway (first year I've had it, should prob change it on principal alone)

Thanks for the insight guys!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
This site may help you out as well.

http://www.skiboathelp.com/tech/winterize.html