Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 ProStar 205
Trailer lights not working...help on adapters

The trailer lights on my MC trailer for my 94 205 have never given me problems. I always pulled it with a Yukon using a 7-to-4 adapter that worked fine. Last year, due to a new baby, we only moved the sucker once and now this year I've noticed my trailer lights aren't working. Complicating the investigation into why is the fact that I have a new Nissan Titan doing the towing now so I can't tell if it's the truck or the trailer at fault. I bought a new adapter to rule that out and I decided to buy one of the 'Hoppy' 7-to-4's with the LED indicators on it. These are supposed to tell you whether or not it's a problem with the truck or on the trailer.

When I plug this sucker into the truck the top LED blinks indicating that all is well. When I then plug the trailer into it ALL of the lights blink. I can't understand what this means but all I know is the trailer lights still don't work. I researched Hoppy's website but couldn't find anything. The dealer told me this past Friday that the truck plug is hot. Any ideas or experiences with this sort of thing? Could sitting for a year with little or no use have an affect on the lights? It's been in dry storage so I don't see how it could. Any experience with these types of adapters?

Thanks....
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Do you have any corrsion on the trailer plug?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Do you have a voltmeter? If not you can get a multi-tester & they come in handy for troubleshooting home & vehicle wiring issues. I'd just test for voltage at the end of the adapter for the various light conditions. If those are OK, then check for voltage at the lights. If you have the tail lights that plug in to a harness, just unplug them & check there. Otherwise open up the crimp connectors & check there.
Good luck.
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I would also double check the ground wire coming out of the trailer side connector, making sure it has a good trailer ground. Technically grounding can occur through the hitch, but having a good ground wire through the connector is required. I've seen several problems due to bad grounds.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

I agree with Tom03. It's probably a ground issue. If you just hooked it up and tried the lights, it's not a surprise it won't work. Take it for a drive making several good turns to take any corrosion off the hitch ball andf socket. Also make sure your trailer ground wire is connected to a nice metal surface with no corrosion. Try another trailer with known good lights to simply verify the new tow vehicle. It'll probably be something simple. I'd try the drive first and then check your lights. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Leroy

Agree with Kevin, the VOM is your friend. Start checking voltages from truck plug back.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy
Agree with Kevin, the VOM is your friend. Start checking voltages from truck plug back.
Make sure the ground is good as mentioned. High impedence ground connections are often the culprit. Grounding through the hitch is a poor practice. Checking with a voltmeter will find the problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Leroy

You are correct Bert and you can find the poor ground problems by measuring with the VOM also across the grounds. Good ground then you willl be zero to few tenth's of a volt, bad ground will be few tenths of a volt to 13.8 volts. In other words the voltage is across the ground instead of the bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Make sure the ground is good as mentioned. High impedence ground connections are often the culprit. Grounding through the hitch is a poor practice. Checking with a voltmeter will find the problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore
When I then plug the trailer into it ALL of the lights blink.
Please clarify, is "it" the tester, or the truck?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
Do you have a voltmeter? If not you can get a multi-tester & they come in handy for troubleshooting home & vehicle wiring issues. I'd just test for voltage at the end of the adapter for the various light conditions. If those are OK, then check for voltage at the lights. If you have the tail lights that plug in to a harness, just unplug them & check there. Otherwise open up the crimp connectors & check there.
Good luck.
After performing all the above and problem still exist, swing into a trailer / utility shop (U-Haul) there great ppl to use for trouble shoot'n problems like this. Charge is usually 25- 30 bucks to fix it.