Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 190, 1992 351 Powerslot grey and red on white
Removing Rhino? Coat

I bought a 92 PS 190 last year. The previous owner had Rhino (or something similar) coated everything. The original color was white and the trialer is a black rough looking product that looks dirty all the time as the road dust clings to the texture. I am not pleased with the appearance and intend to change it.

I am looking for advice on getting the product off. The sandblaster is concerned that the blasting won't work as it will just bounce off. I have tried a heat gun and it was very slow and not very effective. The stuff heats up and gets soft but is so thick and gooey that I can spread it around but it doesn't come off very easily.

Any suggestions from anyone who has removed this stuff would be appreciated.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Take it to Alaska (or northern Canada) in the middle of winter and break it off piece by piece ... or I wonder what would happen if you used compressed gas to supercool it and break it off ... but I bet you find a lot of rust under the coating, as that is why it was likely put there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy
I bought a 92 PS 190 last year. The previous owner had Rhino (or something similar) coated everything. The original color was white and the trialer is a black rough looking product that looks dirty all the time as the road dust clings to the texture. I am not pleased with the appearance and intend to change it.

I am looking for advice on getting the product off. The sandblaster is concerned that the blasting won't work as it will just bounce off. I have tried a heat gun and it was very slow and not very effective. The stuff heats up and gets soft but is so thick and gooey that I can spread it around but it doesn't come off very easily.

Any suggestions from anyone who has removed this stuff would be appreciated.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
if its rhino liner it could be tricky... you could try hitting it w/ some brake fluid. might do something, do it in a hidden area. I doubt this would be efficient but might well be a solvent.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: POWERSTAR 200
I have Rhino Liner in a few company trucks and chemical solvents wont touch this stuff. If I were you I would get a gal. or two of good quality Lacquer Thinner and clean it to remove any oil residue and glue carpet down.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: POWERSTAR 200
OK im an idiot. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the inside of the boat not the trailer. You may be able to get an good epoxy (OIL) paint to stick if prep. well.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
A 4 inch grinder with a coarse wheel works. Takes a while. Paint stripper might work, like jasco or something.

'91 prostar 190
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 PM
TT Regular

Thanks Flipper What kind of wheel are you suggesting? I have a grinder but I don't want to scar the metal.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

I am redoing my trailer this year. I finished painting on Sunday and reassembled lights, etc. yesterday. I sanded and painted the axles too as they were really beat up from stone chips. I considered using a bed liner paint there to avoid chipping because it is so tough. Should I stay away from that and just plan to repaint every few years? Looking for suggestions.

I had a boat buddy put on last fall and I needed to paint that new bare metal. One thing led to another and now the trailer looks like new again. I am also replacing the carpeted step pads by the fenders with diamond plate. It's being made and should be finished this week. The good news is that it's ready for the water now.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
TT Regular

The thing I really dislike about the bedliner type material is it looks dirty all the time. It doesn't chip which is nice but the texture seems to hold the dirt such that even after you wash it, it looks dirty.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I know that your goal is to get rid of it and all, but if you go to the place that installs/sprays the bedliner, they have a kit that rejuvinates the stuff and makes it shine. My little brother has Line-x and he bought the Line-x version of the restorer and it made his bed look like had just been sprayed. Might be worth a try before trying to get rid of the stuff...