Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-03-2004, 09:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Changed Prop, Now Perfect Pass isn't Right?

I put a new OJ prop 13.7x19.5 on my X7 w/powerslot, 310 hp. Now PP doesn't match the MC speedometer. I looked through the PP menu and couldn't find any selections for prop selection.
We set PP at 30.4 and the boat run 35 MPH with the new prop. It run around 31 MPH with the old prop, 14x18.
Any suggestions on what we need to set up?
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 10-03-2004, 09:40 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
George, my 209 has two little toggle switches to the right of the steering wheel that will adjust the speedo. Just toggle it up to increase the speedo reading or down to decrease the reading to match the PP speed. To really figure the actual speed, I would think you would need a GPS or have someone else clock your boat.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Red
George, my 209 has two little toggle switches to the right of the steering wheel that will adjust the speedo. Just toggle it up to increase the speedo reading or down to decrease the reading to match the PP speed. To really figure the actual speed, I would think you would need a GPS or have someone else clock your boat.
mag's right, the PP is getting your speed by measuring the water going under your boat, so it's right and your speedo needs calibrating (unless PP uses your boat speedo, then i have no clue)
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
George, you don't say which speedo is right. The only way to tell is to use either radar (old way) or a GPS.

If the Perfect Pass needs adjusting, the manual explains how.. It's pretty simple, once you understand it. Set the desired speed, then use the up / down keys while in calibrate mode until the actual speed matches the speed you selected. You can't wait too long without making an adjustment, though, or the Perfect Pass will re-set itself... a little bit of a PITA..

If it's your MC speedo, there is a + - toggle beside the steering wheel for calibrating it.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 10-15-2004, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 PS-197 - X7
Speedo problem

When you change brands of prop's they may be more or less effecient than the one used to calibrate your Perfect Pass. A more effecient prop will produce higher speeds and lower RPM's and vica versa.

In the "SLALOM" mode Perfect Pass controls the speed by controling the RPM of the engine. When you set a speed like 34.2 MPH, PP was calibrated to convert that to an established RPM and then tweeks it slightly as you run the boat down the the course and it detects the magnets. Perfect pass only uses the paddle wheel for speeds under 24 MPH or if you tell it to in the wakeboard mode. In the slalom mode you can only recalibrate using a slalom course and each speed you'll be using needs to be set individually 24 MPH, 28 MPH, 30 MPH, 32 MPH 34.2 MPH & 36 MPH. You only need to set the speeds you use. In the newer models of Perfest Pass it is as easy as selecting the speed you want and run the course, it will tell you if the time is OK and if it is not it will ask you if you want to "Quick recalibrate", you select yes and run the pass again, you should be set. Do this for each speed you use. Remember, do not set the speeds while pulling a skier. Cet the crew weight prior to trying to calibrate.

If you are not using it in a course with magnets, switch to Wakeboard mode and set the speed. Either way Prefect Pass has a recalibration function to dial it in.

In the slalom mode, running in a magnet equipped course or using the hand timer, PP tells you if the "Time" is OK. If it is fast or slow there are published steps to recalibrate.

In the wakeboard mode use GPS to set the MasterCraft speedo and enter the PP recalibration mode and adjust the PP.

Good luck

Last edited by crdickey; 10-15-2004 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Omition
Old 10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you are running PP 6.4, you need a slalom course to recalibrate the speedo. Just run it through the course and let it recalibrate. I believe with 6.5, you can recalibrate the speedo using a GPS.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.