Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
browsielover

tow vehicle selection

We own a 97 PS205 w/tandem axle trailer.
We make short trips to the local boat ramp that does not require a 4wd vehicle. Twice a year, we will take a weekend trip to a cabin in Northern Wisconsin and drive about 230mi to get there.
The bottom line - we could spend gobs of $$ and get another SUV w/ a V8, but with gas so high, etc, you know...
Any thoughts on Chryslers Town and Country (yeah- I am a family guy and the vehicle would spend most of it's time running kids to this and that). They say, with the tow package it has a tow capacity of 3800.
Also considering mid sized SUVs like Pathfinder and 4runner, but they are about $10k more expensive than a nice minivan.
Going from a Toyota Sequoia, I have a realy problem with this, so I just wanted to run this one out there.
THanks!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I think you are in the 4500# range with your boat, trailer and maybe some gear, so I would be looking for a vehicle with a tow rating of 5000# or more. I'm not sure if any mini vans have that, plus front wheel drive doesn't do as well at a slippery ramp. 4Runner with V6 would be a good choice.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14 & '93 Prostar 190
Unfortunately I don't think a minivan is going to cut it. You're going to be well over 3800# when loaded with the family, gear and fuel.

I tow my '93 190 with a '03 Tacoma and it does fine. The older boats are narrower and sit down on the trailer and hide behind the truck which makes it much easier. If I had a newer boat that was wider or taller than the truck I don't think it would do as well. Wind resistance can be a killer.

The newer 4runners and Tacoma's are bigger and have more power than my truck. IMO, either would be adequate to get you and your family to the lake. Also consider the Honda Pilot, a friend tows his 190 with one and it does fine. Probably has better non-towing gas mileage as well.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
TMC#01 tows with a mini-van.

(For some reason I feel like I should say nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah)

We once had a mini-van growing up, towing wasn't the problem...stopping on the other hand, well that was an adventure. If you have trailer brakes it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I have a ski buddy that use to tow his Supra ts6m on a tandum trailer with a 98 or 99 Town and Country. It did ok out on the road, but one time on a bad ramp the had to have someone pull the van and boat up the ramp.

If your ramps are good and you don't trailer much, I think you will be ok.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakePirate
TMC#01 tows with a mini-van.

(For some reason I feel like I should say nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah)

We once had a mini-van growing up, towing wasn't the problem...stopping on the other hand, well that was an adventure. If you have trailer brakes it shouldn't be a problem.
you know though... tmc01's van is rwd and a torquey vortech six... I think the t&c van is most likely v6 and fwd which makes quite a difference at the ramp and the road, I think

Last edited by Ric; 04-28-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: no inline six vortech
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I was going to say that TMCNo1 will be the guy to ask on this one. I've towed ours with my wife's 6 cyl explorer on a couple of decent trips. It has been fine on the highway. Only one ramp issue. We just had someone sit in the bow and it was enough extra weight for the tires to get traction. That said, the expedition does a lot better. But I understand your dilema.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 88 Prostar 190 351
My humble suggestion would be to keep the Sequoia, and get a used Safari/Astro Van as a tow vehicle. Rear wheel drive (or all-wheel), full frame, reliable drive trains, cheap parts, lots of room etc.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
We just got my wife a Nissan Murano and she loves it. It is AWD and quite fun to drive. Her mileage is in the low 20's right now, but the car only has 3000 miles on it. I am not sure what the towing capacity is but it might be worth a look?

22 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
How about this!?!?

I pulled this picture of wakeboarder.com.
Story behind it is that it's used 2 times/yr to drop boat in and pull it out. And I guess to a from the dealership?
Attached Images