Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 04-27-2006, 10:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Prostar Stars and Stripes
A new ski

Hey guys and gals,
I know you will be able to help me out here. I am a first year MC owner and I have skiied on and off since I was 12. I was on a slalom at 13 a nice old wood ski. Man that was a great ride. Well anyway, I have tried to get up a handful of times behind a buddy's comp boat with no luck on a slalom nor have I ever gotten on a single, I have always dropped the second ski usually within the first 50 yards of getting up. I want to get up on one this season worse than ever now espically now that I have my own MC. My buddy offered me his old EP, but I feel that it is too small, he has a nice Conelly but I think it is above me aways. So here is where I need help, I would like to find a new/used ski to use and get up on one with. I am 28, I am 6'3" 235 pounds with my winter weight usually down to 225 during the summer and I have a wide foot size 13/14.(thinking XXL binding, toe plate rear?) I am strong just the beer catches up to me! hahha I don't want to spend a ton so I am willing to watch ebay but want to know what to look for on there. I also wouldn't want a shaped skiing do to the ribbing I would take!

Ok, enough rambling HELP!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

69" HO O'brien Graphite Turbo Competition slalom ski

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-HO...spagenameZWDVW

I could pick this one up, what do you think?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
What ever ski you choose it may be worthwile to pick up an easy up handle. They do help a lot in learning to get up on one.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2000
HO Charger

My friend is about your size and was about your ability 2 years ago. He got himself an H.O. Charger back then and still loves it. He plan on trying the slalom course with it this summer. I think this kind of ski would be great for you because of its wide shape it is easy to get up and with the double concave tunnel under, it will allow you to progess fast and keep it a few years.
go see it there: http://www.hosports.com/06_web/06_test.html
Don't go for the Magnum, it is realy BIG.
I am sure you can find a decent used charger or similar on the net or if you contact MYMC or JIM@BAWS . I did not find any on e-bay for the moment.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_king
What ever ski you choose it may be worthwile to pick up an easy up handle. They do help a lot in learning to get up on one.
Thanks for the advice looks like it might help some.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavenX5
My friend is about your size and was about your ability 2 years ago. He got himself an H.O. Charger back then and still loves it. He plan on trying the slalom course with it this summer. I think this kind of ski would be great for you because of its wide shape it is easy to get up and with the double concave tunnel under, it will allow you to progess fast and keep it a few years.
go see it there: http://www.hosports.com/06_web/06_test.html
Don't go for the Magnum, it is realy BIG.
I am sure you can find a decent used charger or similar on the net or if you contact MYMC or JIM@BAWS . I did not find any on e-bay for the moment.
I will keep my eye on ebay. What is an acceptable used price. Do you agree with the wrap front binding and reat toe in XXL? What about a length?

Last edited by 1984StarsandStripes; 04-27-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2000
I have no idea about what is a good used price. I used ski can be as good as a new one because their is almost no wear on them. It is not like alpine skis that loose their stifness after 1 or 2 seasons only.
Because of the wide shape, a 68" or 69" should be plenty for you. My friend wears size 13 shoes and has Obrien Bios XXL bindings on his HO Charger. They are very tight for him but acceptable. Do not go less than XXL with Obrien bindings. I don't know about HO sizing.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavenX5
I have no idea about what is a good used price. I used ski can be as good as a new one because their is almost no wear on them. It is not like alpine skis that loose their stifness after 1 or 2 seasons only.
Because of the wide shape, a 68" or 69" should be plenty for you. My friend wears size 13 shoes and has Obrien Bios XXL bindings on his HO Charger. They are very tight for him but acceptable. Do not go less than XXL with Obrien bindings. I don't know about HO sizing.
Thanks for the info! it is much appreciated!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
HO Magnum 71, HO Charger 69 , or an HO Triumph 71" should allow you to deep water start on them. THe Try Wiley double boot bindings, they have bigger sizes for your feet. THe chargers/magnum are more intermediate style skis that you cant push as hard, the Triumph will allow you to give it a bit more, easier cuts, better performance. I have a 69" Triumph and its a very nice smooth ski. I dont course ski at all. I am a recreational free skier that likes to push it as much as I can and keep progressing my skills, so the Triumph and Vengeance were good choices for me. my buddy is about the same size as you and his wife got him a 71" Triumph for Christmas last year.....he is really looking forward to skiing it. I am really happy with my HO skis, but remember thats just MY personal preference. I am just giving you my 2 cents.

If your an Obrien fan, you could go with a 69" Synchro. they are wider and a bit better for bigger skiers.

I was in the same boat here last year, and the fine folks here helped me pick a ski.
Good luck, and let us know what you think and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

So finally I chat with the great one UMP. Being just a troll you would probably never ski with me. Do you ever get down south of Lansing. Or do you lose your bridge pass if caught south of Cadillac?? Thanks for the advice it is tough having both big feet and being a big guy! I am not huge just gifted! hahahaha I am thinking shoe boxes and duct tape for bindings!