Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-24-2006, 09:23 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Do I need a new actuator?

So I've noticed that I'm losing some brake fluid out of my actuator. Can this be repaired (assuming I can find the leak), or do I need to replace the actuator?

Assuming I need to replace it, what's involved with that. Would you leave it to your dealer or would you DIY (and by you, I mean me).

Dorsey has the UFP actuator for $139.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
It may not need replace, where is the leak coming from? It may be were the line enters the actuator.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
MC Hero

It's coming from around the ball coupling. Seems a good distance from the reservoir.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
OK, your screwed.

Just kiddin, I got nutin.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
You can order the parts direct from UFP and replace what is leaking. Their number is (800)835-9211. I rebuilt mine 2 years ago. The master cylinder was $45.03. PM me and I can e-mail you a *.pdf of the entire manual including the troubleshooting guide and the exploded parts list.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
MC Hero

Thanks, Johnny. I was just on the UFP website looking at that. I had the master cylinder replaced two years ago. I'm thinking of just running it over to the brake place that worked on it and have them look at it.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 04-24-2006, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
DIY on this is actually very easy. You may want to invest in a vacuum bleader pump if you do it yourself. It makes putting in new fluid and bleeding lines much easier. Also, when I did mine, I ordered a brake line kit out of overtons that was all synthetic tubing....easy to install and no rust to worry about.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...der/items2.cgi

I ordered the single axle brake kit. I probably replaced the lines start-to-finish in well under 2 hours, including bleeding.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 04-24-2006, 09:59 PM
MC Hero

Actually, when I got the new master cylinder put in, I got all new stainless lines put in as well. 93 had some weird sheath around the lines. Rust was almost a given. New wheel cylinders, too.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Leroy

SO you have a new master cylinder and stainless lines?

What is in the actuator anyway? I thought it was just a spring loaded rod back to the mastercylinder? Didn't know there was any fluid in the actuator.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Prostar 190
The actuator was leaking on my '93 trailer as well. I just replaced the whole thing rather than bother with trying to figure out what was leaking.

It is pretty easy.

1. Disconnect brake line at back of actuator.
2. Use snap ring pliers remove the snap rings from the 2 pins.
3. Pull actuator out.

Beware, those 2 pins hold everything in the actuator together. When you pull it out, all the pieces will fall out the bottom if you don't hold them in there.

Likewise, when installing the new one, you have to hold it all together until it is inside the trailer tubing. Someone here gave me a good tip. Use a piece of dowel rod that is cut to length to just fit inside the trailer tubing. Use that to hold the actuator together, then just drive it out with the pins when you install them. You can also use a socket to do the same thing.