Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 30th Anniversary Prostar 190
Just Ordered a new Boom

I've been looking at getting a barefoot boom to go with the boat. As most of you know, Overton's continually runs sales and promotions but they usually do not apply to the booms.

This latest promotion did apply to the boom so the $500 boom was only $400.

The promotion runs through Monday night in case anyone wants in on it. These promotions are sometimes site wide if you need any other supplies like 303 and the like.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Glad I saw this! Been on the hunt for a boom but really didn't want to shell out close to 600 for a new one. 400 shipped hurts a lot less.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 SV244 w/ ZR409
Love that site, got a gallon of 303 and gallon of Starbrite fabric waterproofing for $40 each about a month ago.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I've been looking at getting a barefoot boom to go with the boat. As most of you know, Overton's continually runs sales and promotions but they usually do not apply to the booms.

This latest promotion did apply to the boom so the $500 boom was only $400.

The promotion runs through Monday night in case anyone wants in on it. These promotions are sometimes site wide if you need any other supplies like 303 and the like.
Pretty good deal on a boom (with shipping price built in).

One thing I can recommend as an essential (not required) is a boom extension piece and a boom bag. The extension gets you room to foot two people and also out of the spray for slower speeds (young learners of barefoot or skiing with skis). The bag is nice when you want to store the boom while controling the cables and the two-piece boom, all in one swoop. I think the bag is my favorite accessory, second only to the height adjuster and quick release pins. Merely a mention while the discount is applicable.

If you happen to acquire the extension, leave the cables in tact and adjust the bow connection in an easier manner (further info upon request).

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-06-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:16 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Pretty good deal on a boom (with shipping price built in).

One thing I can recommend as an essential (not required) is a boom extension piece and a boom bag. The extension gets you room to foot two people and also out of the spray for slower speeds (young learners of barefoot or skiing with skis). The bag is nice when you want to store the boom while controling the cables and the two-piece boom, all in one swoop. I think the bag is my favorite accessory, second only to the height adjuster and quick release pins. Merely a mention while the discount is applicable.

If you happen to acquire the extension, leave the cables in tact and adjust the bow connection in an easier manner (further info upon request).

Thank you waterlogged for the good advice. I will definitely look into the bag option. I did order the height adjuster as I plan to get some younger kids up on skis this year. The extension would probably aid with that too. Since the sale runs through tomorrow, I will probably order them too. Any other advice is greatly appreciated as this will be my first time with a boom.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
I learned on a boom on your very boat. Was never in the spray and I don’t believe CP had an extension for his boom. Would be cool to go 2 people wide though.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank you waterlogged for the good advice. I will definitely look into the bag option. I did order the height adjuster as I plan to get some younger kids up on skis this year. The extension would probably aid with that too. Since the sale runs through tomorrow, I will probably order them too. Any other advice is greatly appreciated as this will be my first time with a boom.
With the extension you change the length of the boom (obviously) resulting in a shorter cable length (that comes preset) to reach the bow eye.

To adjust this without a lot of cable hassle, with or without the boom and even swapping boats (a longer length that can be adjusted for other boats), get yourself a few local hardware store items to make for the adjustment from the end point of the cable(s) to the bow eye. You can use a 12" - 15" (measure for your application) piece of chain (1/4" or whatever you feel adequate) and a set of hooks to make a quick-adjust connector to easily attach the cable(s) to the bow eye. Make sure the hook fits through the link(s) in the chain. Cable adjustments are just a total pain in the rump to have to deal with. That is not practical.

You'll need the extension with kids, new learners, and slower speeds.

Attached Images

Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedrum03 View Post
I learned on a boom on your very boat. Was never in the spray and I don’t believe CP had an extension for his boom. Would be cool to go 2 people wide though.
You are correct. CP did not have the extension. He said that it wasn't necessary to get out of the spray. Waterlogged had me thinking that at the slower speeds for the kids it may be an issue. I would appreciate any thoughts on this especially since you have first hand knowledge of the boat.

Quote:
With the extension you change the length of the boom (obviously) resulting in a shorter cable length (that comes preset) to reach the bow eye.

To adjust this without a lot of cable hassle, with or without the boom and even swapping boats (a longer length that can be adjusted for other boats), get yourself a few local hardware store items to make for the adjustment from the end point of the cable(s) to the bow eye. You can use a 12" - 15" (measure for your application) piece of chain (1/4" or whatever you feel adequate) and a set of hooks to make a quick-adjust connector to easily attach the cable(s) to the bow eye. Make sure the hook fits through the link(s) in the chain. Cable adjustments are just a total pain in the rump to have to deal with. That is not practical.

You'll need the extension with kids, new learners, and slower speeds.
Thank you again Waterlogged for the advice. Do I need to adjust the cables whenever I adjust the height?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank you again Waterlogged for the advice. Do I need to adjust the cables whenever I adjust the height?
No sir

My suggestion is to never have to adjust the cables, just the chain at the bow and once you find the right length for that, you will not have to change that any more.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:04 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
No sir

My suggestion is to never have to adjust the cables, just the chain at the bow and once you find the right length for that, you will not have to change that any more.

Thank you. Should I just leave the extension on once installed. What would be the benefit of taking it on and off?