Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
My beautification project.

Well after some hefty research and reading I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to wetsand my hull to get a few years of saltwater/sun oxidation off. (yes it has gotten that bad after only 4 years).

I purchased a Makita 9227 polisher and also a pad kit. I choose this one http://www.autogeek.net/bfpk400.html from Autogeek.

I ran thru the following process: wetsand w/1500grit > wetsand w/2000grit > Orange pad w/3M HD rubbing compound > Yellow pad w/3M Cleaner Wax > White pad w/Meguires polishing wax.

After about 5-6 hours I have completed about 12ft of the hull, and discovered some very interesting things during the process.

I found that 2 applications of the rubbing compound helpd to get some really stubborn areas fresh again w/o having to wetsand a 2nd time.
I found that slow -N-steady is the way to go. The speed at which you run the polisher is crucial to each step and speed-to-pad is probably a science I will never learn 100% but I found specific speeds that seems to work better than others.
I found there is no concealed area to practice on, so less is sometimes more.
Do small sections 4-5ft. Then complete all steps in this area before moving on. If you have to leave the job, at least you will have completed everything up to that point.

I know some of this is common sense but I have never done this process before. Compounding/Waxing sure, but the process I explained earlier, no. I hope to eventually provide a play-by-play of the entire project. I'll start snapping some picks to show before/after results as well as what speeds worked for me as well as pads and so on.

KG
Old 04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Has the cleaner wax been enough to take the swirls out from the Heavy Duty Compound? When I did my old outboard a few years ago, I chose to follow the compound with 3M Finesse-It, followed by the cleaner wax. It would have been much easier though if I could have eliminated that step!!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
Sodar,
No I haven't had an issue with the swirl marks. I think their are several things that help ward off the swirl marks.

The buffer. I picked up a Makita 9227L. This thing rocks! I have never had a professional unit like this, but of course price in some situations does dictate quality. Controllable speed with a little dial rigth at your thumb was a new thing. It's amazing how well it holds speed regardless of the amount of pressure you place on it. There were a few times I put my whole 180lbs into it and it never slowed. It also has a slow startup feature to that if you are making contact with something it does not kick into full speed right away.

The pads. This was the first time I have ever used pads like this. I think the pads are AWESOME. They are smooth and soft, and have a large surface area that helps spread things out. No small concentrated areas.

Wetsanding. It flattens out the surface so the pad doesn't see and high/low spots.

Speed. I am fairly certain that speed is the largest factor. I used a slow speed with the compound (750-800rpm), medium speed with the cleaner wax(maybe 1300-1400rpm) and a med-hi speed with the final polish(2000rpm). The polisher only goes to 300rpm so I didn't want to push it.

Movement. Of course the most important thing with a job like this is to never let the polisher stand still.
Each of the speeds though were funny. Slow with the compound is a fight. You fight the polisher every step. As the speed increases the fight gets less, but the risk increases. I did learn a little. I tried to polish around the lettering and burned some of the lettering. I can fix it but it just goes to show.

I am happy so far with the results, I also only have 1/4 of the job done.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Leroy

Wakescene; You are on to something about the sanding! If you are willing I think you have the making of a great FAQ.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Leroy,
Your correct. I am thinking about doing something like that. Actually it's evolving on it's own and could be a great resource. I did a lot of research before starting this. The only problem was that there was good info on wetsanding, polishing, oxidation etc, but none that I found at least really narrowed down all of it in one hefty document and how to go about things for our particular situation. I will be interesting to see how everything turns out.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Wakescene, great documentation. Can't wait to see pics. My '89 patiently awaits some TLC from this neglectful owner.
Good luck and keep sharing your progress.
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

So I finished the boat this weekend, but my arms are a little tired so I am gonna rest and post some pics tomorrow. She does look very good though and I took a lot of pics to help create some good documentation.

KG
Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakescene
So I finished the boat this weekend, but my arms are a little tired so I am gonna rest and post some pics tomorrow. She does look very good though and I took a lot of pics to help create some good documentation.

KG
Waiting for those pictures
Old 05-10-2006, 02:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

finally found some time so I'll be working on the write-up this week. Sorry for the delay folks.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well I finished writing everything up, and adding the pictures. Please let me know what you think and if I should improve on anything.

Sorry again for the delay.
Kevin