Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-17-2006, 11:48 AM
TT Newbie

Marine Topside Paint

I have a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar. The previous owner left it out in the sun fading the deep blue paint to a mottled aqua color. The painted area on the hull is not extensive so I plan on repainting it myself with an appropriate marine topside paint.

I am looking for a paint recommendation as well as any tips & trick regarding the upcoming paint job.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Paint!

Have you thought about just having the entire boat wet sanded? That can usually restore the gelcoat to a like new state.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
I've seen some mid/late 80's boats that have been painted/cleared. Trick is to then treat is like a car when complete. Wash, wax.

Prepping, I am sure there are alot of guys here that could give you details on exactly what to do. But the key to a good stick is surface prep.
I do think there is also a flex agent required for painting fiberglass, check into it.

I have to ask. Have you painted before? If so, what? Where do you intend to do the work?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
The best paint out there is a linear polyetholene(LP) paint. I really do not recommend painting if you can avoid it. It is much less resilient than fiberglass in all areas. We repaint our ocean boat every 5-7 years because it just does not hold up. I would seriously consider wetsanding and polishing... it will be cheaper than painting it the right way and will last much longer than paint. Just my opinion!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar,190,1994,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodarSki73
The best paint out there is a linear polyetholene(LP) paint. I really do not recommend painting if you can avoid it. It is much less resilient than fiberglass in all areas. We repaint our ocean boat every 5-7 years because it just does not hold up. I would seriously consider wetsanding and polishing... it will be cheaper than painting it the right way and will last much longer than paint. Just my opinion!

I agree with sodorski paint is impracticle for a boat. First try the wet sand and buff if the gel is to thin and you go through try re-gelcoating, a fiberglass shop could do it pretty reasonable if it's just a small area, or it's not that hard to DIY.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Send it to Jeremy79 for a makeover. His work is absolutely incredible! And YES you can make paint work fine for a boat. Ask Jeremy, he made it work just fine.

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandol
Send it to Jeremy79 for a makeover. His work is absolutely incredible! And YES you can make paint work fine for a boat. Ask Jeremy, he made it work just fine.
I NEVER said you could not make it work, I said it does not hold up like gelcoat... no one you ask will argue this!