Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
tow rig

chaps....having suffered the total loss of my tow-rig,i am on the look-out for a new one.....and having seen some of your trucks i am v.keen on them.....give me your thoughts on rigs available....i have a friend in NY who would buy it for me and ship it over to england......i love the look of the ford super duty with the diesel, king ranch edition..the dual rear looks great...i can just see it backing my black x9 into the lake...having never driven one-a test drive is a long way-give me your views on the dually........
thx

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 09-29-2004, 12:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
If I were in England i would be buying a diesel Land Rover Defender. That being said, I don't care for my Land Rover Discovery II as a tow vehicle. It pulls very smoothly but I would get run over if I tried to tow my PS190 down the interstate. The vehicle is too heavy and has little horsepower to perform well on the interstate. It does well enough going the 6 miles from my driveway to the ramp.
Good news is I think I finally got the driveshaft vibrations corrected!
Are there places to get the Ford worked on over there?

Last edited by bcampbe7; 09-29-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Send a message via AIM to aprgriggs Send a message via Yahoo to aprgriggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzler
chaps....having suffered the total loss of my tow-rig,i am on the look-out for a new one.....and having seen some of your trucks i am v.keen on them.....give me your thoughts on rigs available....i have a friend in NY who would buy it for me and ship it over to england......i love the look of the ford super duty with the diesel, king ranch edition..the dual rear looks great...i can just see it backing my black x9 into the lake...having never driven one-a test drive is a long way-give me your views on the dually........
thx
wish you were in the states....my dad has a Ford store in Houston, TX

they can ship one to you, but they would have to fedex the paper work in advance....let me know I will hook you up.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Sizzler, Ford SD trucks are very good, comfortable, powerful and very capable tow rigs. Think hard about if you need a dually though. A crew cab short box single rear wheel takes a small parking lot to U turn. The dually adds 3' to the width of the back of the truck. Unless you're towing a 10,000# trailer over the road (lots of miles), or have an oversized camper in the box, a dually is overkill for your purposes (very cool looking though.)
Old 09-29-2004, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197, 310 hp
SAY NO TO FORD!!!.....go with the Chevy Silverado 2500 or 3500 HD with the Duramax Diesel engine if you want a pickup. Or you could go with a Suburban or Yukon XL. Our tow rig is a Yukon XL 1500 and it pulls the 197 with no problems, even on the interstate from Colorado to Wisconsin, so in that sense you really dont need the 2500 or 3500 diesel engines if you are just pulling the X9 to the ramp, but i dont know whatelse you tow, or where you would take it so maybe for your needs you would want a bigger engine.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I agree with Thrall... my ex-rig was a '99 F250 Super Duty, Extended cab, Shortbed, Diesel. No way you need a Dually unless you're upwards of 10,000 lbs towing. It pulled my PS190 like nothing was back there!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I can see this turning into a delightful Ford/Chevy flame war. So I'll just say that my Ford vehicle tows my 205 just fine and hasn't asploded yet.

/door slams. Sounds of locks engaging heard. Earplugs in. "Discuss!"

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I'd say the Ford Super Duty Power Stroke Diesel is a great choice (the Dodge and GM versions are ok as well). As far as dual wheels, as said before not needed.
Ford is continuing the Excursion for one more year. It may be big, but with the diesel it still gets 18 mpg around town.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
I'm a big Ford man when it comes to trucks. The 04' F150 has been beefed up from 267hp. to 300hp. and is awesome. If you are pulling anything smaller than a 30ft. travel trailer, it is all you will need. I've had 9 works trucks and 3 personal, all Fords (F150's,F250's). And I work in the oilfields of east Texas and north Louisiana, they get a great work out! No and I mean NO truck holds up to the pulling and work like a FORD!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 S&S
'89 Chevy with a 350 and 5 speed manual. Pulls the stars and stripes like a champ. "Shes a gasser but she'll pull"