Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Info and Help Please

Hi. New member and first time poster.

I am looking for a used MasterCraft straight inboard for my teenage boys. They are just learning to wakeboard and waterski so no one is a pro at this point. Ages are 15 and 10 plus wife and I. I don't ski anymore due to a questionable back but the wife is very good. We currently have three boats ranging in size from 17' to 65'. The MasterCraft would be our 4th boat. (Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment.)

Anyway, I'm considering an '89 TriStar that is in outstanding condition with only 400 hours for a reasonable price. Anything I should be concerned about with this boat? Would this be a reasonable all-around watersports tow boat? Not too many choices in my price range (under 10,000 - since this is a fourth boat for us.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dr. N
Old 07-30-2004, 09:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Small world Dr. Nautica. I frequently read the lakecumberland forum. Interesting developments going on at the lake. There is alot of chatter regarding tourist etc, and WaterPatrol with Alcohol. We used to frequent Cumberland but have been going to Dale Hollow for the past 10 years. Tri-Star's are good boats, nothing like the new ones but then again neither is the Price..........Good Luck with the search. I will continue to be one of the many people that read the forum for info but never post. Lot's of good info there, sounds like you got a good moderator in Cumberline. For all of you MC people in IN, OH, KY that visit Lake Cumberland you need to check out the Lake Cumberland forum and be careful in you have any alcohol on the boat.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Dr.
There are many post's regarding this subject in the old forum, Tristar vs. Prostar.
I just sold my 88 Tristar 190 with 570 hrs. I used it for four seasons and kept it in great condition. It was a great boat for us and never let us down. We liked the 90" beam and molded platform. The kids loved to swim, dive and goof around on it. I skied 25 off at 34 mph and had no problem with the wake and have pulled wakeboarders who really liked the wake at 17-20 mph. I put a 4 blade Ambush 13x13 prop on it and it made a big difference in the ride and performance.
In any case, whether you go with the Tristar or Prostar, the older Mastercrafts are money in the bank as long as you take care of them.
Spend a lot of time in it and ask to see the service records before you decide. I would also recommend skiing behind it if possible so that there are no surprises.

Last edited by stevo137; 07-31-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys! I bought the boat. I negotiated a deal I just couldn't turn down.

35th,
Good to know you've tuned into the LC.com forum. It is one of the best and most informative sites going. Yes too, there has been much going on with the water patrol and increased enforcement. Hopefully it will all subside sooner than later. Curious though, why haven't you posted in the LC.com forum? Some really great folks there.

Stevo,
We test drove/skied the Tristar this morning. Solid boat in great shape with under 600 hours. Boat ran great and shifted smoothly. Your mention of the 4 blade prop has me wondering what difference it may make for me. This boat currently has a 3 blade. In what way does the 4 blade change the ride?

The Dr.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Also, the only negative I could see mechanically with the Tristar was some "cavitation burn" (pitting) on the lower third of the rudder. Is this common? Will a four blade wheel eliminate this cavitation?

Dr N
Old 08-02-2004, 10:22 AM
MC Maniac

I can't comment on the rudder but can tell you for sure that the Ambush 13x13 4 blade smoothed out the ride and increased performance quite a bit. 4400 rpm 44-45 mph. The Ambush is made by Michigan Propellers. I put the same prop on my 93 S&S and lost a little top end compared from the original OJ 3 blade but overall, the Ambush blew it away. Much quieter smoother ride and my hole shot is killer! I am going to try an Acme 3 blade next but as far as the Tristar, you can't go wrong with the Ambush. Cost is about $340.00.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Doc, I will put in my $.02 and say give an Acme 3 blade a whirl. It offers lots of the perks people look for in 4 blade props without the loss of top end associated with the 4 blade. Both will smooth your ride and help your hole shot and pull. You can get an acme 3 blade for under $300 (that includes shipping) from schnitz (at least you could in March when I got mine). Check out Acme's website www.acmemarine.com and don't hesitate to call them. They're extremely helpful.

Congrats on your new boat. Let's see some pics!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Stevo,
Pardon the ignorance, the boat is 300+ mi away as we speak. LH or RH and 1" or 1-1/8". Again, new to this ski boat inboard thing.
I appreciate your input.

DrN
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
DrN, although there are some exceptions, MCs have left-hand rotation. If you have a 1:1 gear ratio (as opposed to the power slot transmission), your shaft diameter is 1". I'm not sure if they offered the power slot on the tristar or not.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:11 AM
MC Maniac

The powerslot was optional so you should confirm but it should be 1"
I like the idea of the Acme and think that they have a satisfaction guarantee. I didn't know about it when I purchased it for the Tristar and the prop guy gave me a great deal on the Ambush for the 93. Dr. I would go with Dougs advice on this one! And he doesn't even charge minutes on this site!