Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2018, 10:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar
First Mastercraft - 2003 Maristar 230 - question about hours meter

I'm picking up a new-to-me boat this week. I found a 2003 Maristar 230 VRS with the 350hp engine, tower, racks, perfect pass and tandem axle trailer. The seller estimates 400 hours, but said that the hour meter is not available. I asked him what he meant and he said there is no readout on his dash. I checked the 2003 owners manual and gauge "C" is the tach/hour meter. In his picture, this space is filled with the perfect pass display. It looks like its an upgraded perfect pass from the factory or the original owner added one after purchase.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Is there a way to get this information without the meter being hooked up? I'd like to verify this info before the purchase is final.

Also, does anyone have general advice or observations about this model/year? This will be a family boat with equal parts skiing/wakeboarding/surfing, beginning/intermediate. Anything people wish they had or best thing to invest in would be great. Already adding fat sacs and surf wedge to the shopping list.

Thank you!

-Mike
Old 08-06-2018, 11:35 AM
TT Newbie

Bumping this up and simplifying the question:

Is there a way to read engine hours other than the tachometer display? Is this info stored in a code somewhere? This is a 2003 Maristar 230 with the 350hp engine. The boat has the PerfectPass display where the tach should go and I'd like to verify run time before I purchase the boat.

-Mike
Old 08-06-2018, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
yes, you can get the hours, but you have to have it hooked up to a computer. i'm not sure how proprietary the software is. pics would help as perfect pass typically occupied the right hand large round hole on the helm and the left large hole is the tach and the small horizontal space is the hour meter. here is a generic pic of a typical helm of that era i found online. the only thing really unique about '03 was the tower racks. they were a ratcheting type that were only used for one year. they are a bit failure prone and hard to find replacement parts. being a VRS and not an X30, you may not have an 03 tower. again, pics would help. we have the same hull and we can make a decent surf wave. 1100's in the rear, homemade BoBv5 suck gate and 450 in the KGB locker. if you are doing all the ballast at once, i'd also add the under seat bag for the bow as well. with my setup listed above, we really need more weight up front to clean up the wave. i've run with a 750 in the walkway and it is a great wave, however, it obviously takes up a lot of space.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2018, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Is there a button on the dash that looks like a small rocker switch that says display? Took me a few months to figure out that those buttons were for the digital tach display. It changes from clock to water temp to hour meter on my 05 x-80. -_- I felt dumb, I hope you don't have a switch so you don't feel dumb like I did.
P.S. in the above pic it looks like it would be that small switch just to the right of the wheel which in the pic is showing right behind it.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Maristar 200 VRS
Take it to a Mastercraft dealer, or most likely any boat shop, have them hook it up to the computer and they should be able to tell you pretty quickly how many hours are on the engine. They'll be able to tell you a few other things as well...

I just had MC dealer do that for me earlier this Summer...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 PM
TT Newbie

jafo9,

Thank you, that helps. I'm having trouble posting pictures, but the word from the seller is that the original owner had perfect pass installed at the dealership after the sale, and they used the hole for the tach (the large one on the left) for the display. He was able to produce numbers for the hours from service paperwork from the dealer, so I'm looking forward to picking it up tomorrow.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the tower, I'll look at that as well. It looks to be a factory install, but I've seen it on other models (2001 x10, 2000 xstar) so I'll ask if that was added after purchase as well.

CrashCourse,

I will look for that, but I don't think his display has an hours meter on it. The dealer is able to corroborate the number of hours though.

TX - Longhorns,

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2018, 12:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-30, Indmar MCX
I've got the same setup on my 2003 X30 and ran into the same issue before I bought the boat. For reference, the PP should be able to display the hours. Simply press Menu and the 'UP' key together, then Menu again to scroll through the displays.

On my boat the PP hours were actually higher than the engine readout due to the fact that the original ECM had been swapped out at some point (the hours 'restarted' with new ECM so the readout when checking at the engine only showed since the new ECM was installed, but the PP had the actual hours on the entire boat, including the drivetrain).

User guide for reference is here:
http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all...ardpro2005.pdf
Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210 vrs
congrats on the boat. We have an 04 210vrs Maristar and it has been great to our family the last four summers. Hope to put some more house on it before Fall is upon us.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 AM
TT Newbie

Outoftheoffice,

Thank you! We'll get on the water this weekend and I'll try this out

Tags
maristar 230