Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-28-2004, 11:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 mastercraft Prostar ford 351 windsor powerslot tranny sky high pylon
Send a message via AIM to brady1022
skylon

Ok, just bought a new skylon for my 8rostar 190, how much give should the ratchet cable have...I mean how much do I have to crank down on it, and also,anybody have any general issues or advice for use of the skylon? thanks guys, -Brady
Old 09-29-2004, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
I would recomend not using it at all (the skylon). I have one and it destorys the base of the pylon. I still use the extension but i crank down on that rachet so hard the pole is leaning foward when noone is behind it if you dont you will crack the base. Try not to cut out to far becuase there are no side supports. Have fun and be safe

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:33 PM
stan

When I bought my 93 the guy was a freek when it came to keeping everthing clean and unharmed. He put a pvc union over the pylon and slid it all the way down, to protect the base of the pylon when the skylon was put on. Its pretty cool and has a custom sock that slides over the union, you don't even notice it and it keeps the sklon off of the floor. The pvc union has a rubber gasket inside so it doesnt scratch the pylon. Other than that I would crank down on the cable for big people. Its always been a concern of mine seeing the sklon flex when pulling big people, thats why I'm looking for a tower.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
I was considering buying a skylon for my 92, but based on what you guys say, maybe that's a waste of money?? Should I just save up for a Skylon??
Old 09-29-2004, 05:31 PM
stan

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt wakeboard without it, but my concern is my 250 lb plus buddies. If it were just my kids, wife, and me I would never get rid of it. I still cant imagine drilling holes in my baby for a tower.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan
Dont get me wrong I wouldnt wakeboard without it, but my concern is my 250 lb plus buddies. If it were just my kids, wife, and me I would never get rid of it. I still cant imagine drilling holes in my baby for a tower.
This is exactly why you need to either have it done or get someone you can trust to come over & help. Wiley helped me do mine. He didn't have any reservations at all about it. And the install has been fine for several years now.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
We have the BF FlyHigh on our boat. We use a piece of washcloth (about 1/2 of it) and put it on top of the Pylon then the FlyHigh over it. That way, it doesn't scratch the pylon.

we have had it since 1996 and have had no problems. The FlyHigh does not go down to the floor, only about 3/4 of the way. We pull 5 footers with our and it worked well.

Last edited by Rockman; 10-07-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Design Flaw???

I have a Barefoot International extended pylon in use on my '89 TS 190. I've seen both the Skylon and the BI unit and, to me there is little comparison. The Skylon has an oversized bottom section that cuases it to be "sloppy" on the factory pylon while the BI unit fits tight. I weigh 225 and have no flexing issues unless I go way wide and pull hard. None of the extended pylons have any side support so if you exceed 45 degrees from center, all will flex.

My BI is brushed stainless and has help up extremely well. I too would like to have a tower and have no qualms about drilling holes. I just don't feel like spending $2,400 for the tower I'd like to have for a 1989 boat.

The Dr.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
I've got a BigAir Pylon and the instructions say to tighten the ratchet 'till the pole flexes a couple of inches forward. This seems to work well and I've been happy with the pylon.....I use mine primarily for pulling barefoot so there is a fair amount of pressure. Another advantage to the pylon is that it comes down quickly. I keep the boat on a covered lift and can crank it up tight under the canopy to keep sun and weather off the boat.....it seems to be more work to raise and lower a tower.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
$2400?! Man, you must be buying the factory tower. My buddy & I have spent that for 2 towers, an Ichor at $1400 & a Monster at $999. Either tower is far more rigid than the Zeroflex. Their not as easy to break down as a pylon but they give a much better pull from anywhere behind the boat. Ever see a foil rider not quite land a heli out in the flats & hold onto the rope? I know a guy who rides on the Sac Delta who yanked a pylon completely out of his Maristar, including the cross piece between the stringers!

Last edited by AirJunky; 09-29-2004 at 10:52 PM.