Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2017, 09:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
2018 X Star Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyaz1200 View Post
Questions to consider...
-Can the wakeboard (not surf) wake be adjusted using the tabs to make it steeper?
Not steeper, but you can use to flatten. I run my tabs at 40,35,40 15mph for kid wakeboarders on my 13
Quote:
-2/1 transmission would indicate a sharp reduction in fuel efficiency, maybe offset by direct injection on the 6.2. How does it perform at the pump?
-If you drive the 5.3 can that thing really do ok with all the ballast full and people on board (skeptical)
-Related, with all the ballast in at say 23mph what RPM is it at? Same question for surfing.
-Is that whole 4100 lbs of ballast all subfloor or bags with tanks?
3200 subfloor 900 bags
Quote:
-Can the cargo hold now fit surfboards and wakeboards easily (like a g23) or no?
Doubtful at 18" deep. My 13 has lots of room under observer seat. When I trailer it holds 2 wakeboard 2 surfboards and a kneeboard
Quote:
-If you or others get the chance to ride the wake what are the impressions? Good pop?
-How is the people room, it's a foot shorter now... so did that come out of the engine/cargo area or the passenger area or some mix of the two you think?
Looks like oversized pickle, engine cargo next, little bit up front too.
Quote:
-Is it badass?
Looks like it to me!!
Quote:
-How much are they charging for it?
Base msrp 155. Cheapest I could see most anyone going was 177 msrp.
Quote:
Appreciate any feedback you can provide
Old 09-05-2017, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Dealer
I am headed to Orlando to drive and ride on Thursday/Friday as long Irma can stay away long enough. This is an exciting boat.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
Quote:
Questions to consider...

-Can the wakeboard (not surf) wake be adjusted using the tabs to make it steeper?

-2/1 transmission would indicate a sharp reduction in fuel efficiency, maybe offset by direct injection on the 6.2. How does it perform at the pump?

-If you drive the 5.3 can that thing really do ok with all the ballast full and people on board (skeptical)

-Related, with all the ballast in at say 23mph what RPM is it at? Same question for surfing.

-Is that whole 4100 lbs of ballast all subfloor or bags with tanks?

-Can the cargo hold now fit surfboards and wakeboards easily (like a g23) or no?

-If you or others get the chance to ride the wake what are the impressions? Good pop?

-How is the people room, it's a foot shorter now... so did that come out of the engine/cargo area or the passenger area or some mix of the two you think?

-Is it badass?

-How much are they charging for it?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide

My pet peeve lol. Asking about the fuel efficiency in a $200K boat. If you have to ask....
Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
My pet peeve lol. Asking about the fuel efficiency in a $200K boat. If you have to ask....
At 2 dollars above whatever the gas in your car costs its a valid question to ask for some.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 black mastercraft x15 going on 1700 hrs sold! Upgraded to a 2013 mastercraft xstar 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
At 2 dollars above whatever the gas in your car costs its a valid question to ask for some.
Well think smarter. You don't have to buy fuel from a on water overcharging fuel station. Throw it on the trailer, put a fuel tank in yourself and have it filled commercially near where you dock your boat, or get a fuel tank in the bed of your pickup truck.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvw4x4 View Post
Well think smarter. You don't have to buy fuel from a on water overcharging fuel station. Throw it on the trailer, put a fuel tank in yourself and have it filled commercially near where you dock your boat, or get a fuel tank in the bed of your pickup truck.
Most of the time my boat is in the dock, with the trailer in storage across town. LDA keeps his boat in a marina 30 minutes from his house, with his trailer an hour from his house in a different direction. For most, a fuel tank in the bed of the truck is out of the question.

However, the fuel consumption question is valid. You ask yourself the same questions when buying a vehicle, why should it be any different with a boat? Who enjoys spending more money than they need to!? Lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Xstar, 2013, 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lda6339 View Post
Strongly agree!!!

Like most folks here I didn't get the resources to buy the Star I have now by being reckless with money.

We far exceed 1000 gallons in a season, and unlike buying a boat which has some non trivial residual value gas is a consumable. 100% of the money you spend on gas is literally burned.

Further, gas is one of the single largest expenses of boat ownership (if you use your boat a lot) and the industry as a whole doesn't pay enough attention to this generally IMO. Too often boat manufactures throw more displacement and old tech on boats. I'm excited to see Mastercraft using direct injection which can increase both power and efficiency and hope they take that trend even farther.

I'd be thrilled to see turbo chargers, especially the newest variable geometry ones that spool quickly without sacrificing power. Even a diesel option would be cool, and those motors last longer, are very efficient and make tons of low end power which is ideal for most boaters (not all).

As these boats creep farther and farther above $100K I think it's fair that our collective expectations should creep up also... and this is an area where there is lots of room for innovation IMO.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post

Right...
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
Spoke to MC directly an hour before launch. They recommend the 6.2.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Strongly agree!!!

Further, gas is one of the single largest expenses of boat ownership (if you use your boat a lot) and the industry as a whole doesn't pay enough attention to this generally IMO. Too often boat manufactures throw more displacement and old tech on boats. I'm excited to see Mastercraft using direct injection which can increase both power and efficiency and hope they take that trend even farther.
I agree, gas is a big expense. Especially if friends don't contribute. However, I would argue that loan interest (or opportunity) cost of $200K is your largest annual expense.