Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-10-2006, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
Best Carpet Trailer Bunk Manufacturer

Are there different qualities of trailer bunk carpeting? Looking to recover and modify the v-bunks on my Hewitt Lift. Including adding additional bunks to mimic the trailer. Also want to replace the 1" pressure treated wood bunks with composite material. Has anyone found any problems with staples sticking to this? Want to remove buoyancy of lift bunks so they'll go deep in the water.

Want to protect my new '05 197 and noticed the Hewitt lift carpeting wore down very quickly. So many posts on here about how to carpet, none talking about recommended carpeting (read a bunch).

http://www.tiedown.com/acarpet.html
Tie Down Engineering
Bunk Board Carpet

All weather carpet is designed to replace worn and frayed bunks on your trailer. The marine grade carpet will not rot or mildew. Each roll measures 11" x 12'.

Black Part #86137 $21.60
Gray Part #86138 $21.60

==========================

http://www.wesbar.com/products.php?group=46&subgroup=52
Fulton Wesbar
Replacement Bunk Carpeting

Marine Grade carpeting allows the do-it-yourselfer to replace worn and dirty carpet on bunk trailers. The carpeting protects your boat investment by reducing scratching on the hull and keeps it in like-new condition. Individual rolls are shrink-wrapped for shelf display.

8008 Bunk Carpeting, 8" x 144" $10.49
8012 Bunk Carpeting, 12" x 144" $14.39
Attached Images

Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Prostar 190
If you are talking about using the composite deck boards you can't nail or staple anything to them. They are way too hard. The only thing that works is screws. You could wrap the carpet around and secure with short screws from the bottom side.

I don't know if some carpet is better than others, but I do recommend putting 2 layers of carpet on top. Cut a strip just as wide as the bunk and lay it on top. Then another layer all the way around and secure with screws.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
If you are talking about using the composite deck boards you can't nail or staple anything to them. They are way too hard. The only thing that works is screws. You could wrap the carpet around and secure with short screws from the bottom side.

I don't know if some carpet is better than others, but I do recommend putting 2 layers of carpet on top. Cut a strip just as wide as the bunk and lay it on top. Then another layer all the way around and secure with screws.
great idea on doubling up the carpet...ensures extra padding and 100% protection...figure if i go with the composite deck material, stainless screws should hold just fine...plus its mounted on an aluminim rail which should hold it in place as well...
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Prostar 190
I replaced some wood in my upholstery with composite deck board and used stainless screws and finish washers. Worked well.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS

I'll second using two layers of carpet (or at least one layer along the part of the bunk that will touch the hull and then wrap another layer around it).

Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's has worked well on my trailer for a couple of seasons now.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Olefin marine carpet from Lowe's has worked well on my trailer for a couple of seasons now.
how does Lowe's compare in price, nice because can cut to length...

here's a how to choose from Lowe's but can't seem to track down the acutal carpet at Lowe's http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...htNavHomeDecor

Choosing Between Varieties of Indoor-Outdoor Carpet
"For easy-to-clean, fade- and stain-resistant carpet, choose material made from 100% UV olefin fibers. Indoor-outdoor carpet is available in varying grades of quality, color and weave. Do the touch testóthe thicker the carpet feels, the higher the grade and durability. For areas that are prone to dampness or fully exposed to weather, make sure the carpet has an all-weather "marine" backing for moisture resistance."

"Olefin (Polypropylene) was originally for outdoor carpeting and basements due to its resistance to moisture, mildew, water damage, staining, pilling, shedding and static. Now itís more widely used for its durability and wool-like feel and appearance. Olefin is dyed before itís made into a fiber and therefore is colorfast. Some olefin can flatten and fade in direct sunlight."

Last edited by BuoyChaser; 04-11-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:26 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The olefin carpet I used had a "marine" designation and had a rubber backing. The downside was that it is sold in 6' wide sections. But when all was said and done, that worked out well for doubling the thickness on my bunks.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.