Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
_JR

Thumbs up New Acme Prop

Well, I was a complete dumba$$ last weekend, and managed to mangle my stock prop and drive shaft (won't go into the details! ).

Anyway, after hearing so many good things about Acme, I decided to make the change from the stock OJ prop to a 13.5x17 4 blade prop.

All I can say is WOW!!! My baby jumps out of the water like a scalded dawg and the ride is MUCH smoother overall. Top speed also kicked up from ~42 to ~46.

I am a happy man!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Jr, congrats on the new prop!! Now that that’s out of the way, details man details

Old 07-30-2004, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Master Craft X2 MCX
What motor do you have?? Do you have the powerslot transmission??
Old 07-31-2004, 11:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
JR
What was on your boat so we can compare? The jump in top speed seems quite impressive if you have improved your hole shot that much...
And,like Mark...DETAILS!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Very nice _JR. Did you have a 4 blade on there before? From the prop size, I'm guessing powerslot. Six months later, I'm still happy with my Acme as well. And having recently mangled a prop and a driveshaft (not on my own boat), I can understand your not wanting to relive it!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:19 AM
_JR

As for the demise of my original prop and prop shaft...I was out late on Lake Travis in an unfamiliar part of the lake and happened across a sandbar while we were going about 25 MPH...

Fortunately, besides the bend prop and damaged shaft, nothing was hurt but my pride.

As for my boat, it is the 250 (275 HP)Chevrolet engine with a PowerSlot tranny. Original prop was a three blade, new prop is a four blade.

The new prop has made the ride noticably smoother, and it really seems to STICK when accellerating. Wonder why MC is not using Acme like the others???
Old 08-02-2004, 10:07 AM
MC Addict

Jr

Ouch! I hate to hear those stories.. I think because I know it can happen to me at any time. As a matter of fact the last time it happened to me, the vibration getting back to the launch took the strut bushing and the main transmission seal out. But its like a train wreck, cant, look,, away.. Thanks for the details. That does blow but at least the new prop rocks.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Speaking of props.
I do not have a spare prop. Is this something that one should have? The reason I ask is because I will have to explain to the treasurer why we "need" to shell out the $350-$400 for a spare prop. Although I would probably use the new, better, prop and have the original as the spare. I have a 96 PS190, non-powerslot, 1:1.

Last edited by bcampbe7; 08-02-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:28 AM
MC Addict

Bc,

Its on my list. I would love to have a spare. But for now, I will buy one if I need a new one. I have a lot of things on the list above it

Old 08-02-2004, 10:33 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
A spare prop is a good thing to have. I still have my OJ 3 blade in my Acme box. As for why MC didn't go with Acme, my guess would be that it's because OJ started producing CNC'd props and they have a good business relationship with OJ. But that's just a guess. OJ makes good props (and does great with repairs as I've recently discovered), but I'm a huge fan of Acme, needless to say.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.