Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 04-08-2006, 07:46 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Prostar 190 Powerslot
Choosing a new slalom course

Hey guys,

A couple of us are looking to replace our current slalom course (currently about 20 years old). The course is a portable PVC course that takes forever to assemble and take in because it is in really rough shape.

The application is about 25-40 feet of water depending on where in the course we are. And the installation is seasonal - we will install in June and remove in September.

I'm looking at EZ-Slalom and Insta-Slalom. I know both are portable courses. One thing that frustrates me about the websites is that there are no pictures showing the mechanism that makes these things telescope.

We have minor problems with Jet Skis, etc - a sinkable course would be awesome but it looks like they're not made anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Should we not be looking at a portable course?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
We have two courses, one Accufloat that has a permit from the Corp of Eng, the other and Insta Slalom. The telescoping part is basically a ss band of 3/8", which will pop up with the button when aligned.

We're on a public lake as well, and weekends can be brutal to the course but we figured out a pretty good fix. We have the 6x14 boat guide buoys. We get 3' of 5/16" chain, pull it up to the top of the buoy within 1 inch. We then stick a 5" bolt through there, and two 3" bolts at the bottom. That attaches to a 24" bungee cord which hooks into the pvc and ss eyebolts. We use almost the same setup on the other buoys except on the red skier balls, where we use 2' of rope, 24" bungee and we tie-wrap 1' of chain at the pvc to hold the ball down; do this on the gates as well but the green intermediate buoys and 55m buoys get chain and bungee. We also try to keep the pvc clean. This might sound anal but we have really clear water for about 8ft and people see that pipe, they avoid it. The chain will help you keep some buoys and if an I/O comes through there and makes contact, he MIGHT be smart and not do it again.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Prostar 190 Powerslot
LOL that chain is mean!! I'd end up catching it myself!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret
We have two courses, one Accufloat that has a permit from the Corp of Eng, the other and Insta Slalom. The telescoping part is basically a ss band of 3/8", which will pop up with the button when aligned.

We're on a public lake as well, and weekends can be brutal to the course but we figured out a pretty good fix. We have the 6x14 boat guide buoys. We get 3' of 5/16" chain, pull it up to the top of the buoy within 1 inch. We then stick a 5" bolt through there, and two 3" bolts at the bottom. That attaches to a 24" bungee cord which hooks into the pvc and ss eyebolts. We use almost the same setup on the other buoys except on the red skier balls, where we use 2' of rope, 24" bungee and we tie-wrap 1' of chain at the pvc to hold the ball down; do this on the gates as well but the green intermediate buoys and 55m buoys get chain and bungee. We also try to keep the pvc clean. This might sound anal but we have really clear water for about 8ft and people see that pipe, they avoid it. The chain will help you keep some buoys and if an I/O comes through there and makes contact, he MIGHT be smart and not do it again.
Hey Bret,

Is there anywhere to camp up there on your lake or near by?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 AM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
the chain sounds scary, i'd hate to hit one myself..
Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan
Hey guys,

A couple of us are looking to replace our current slalom course (currently about 20 years old). The course is a portable PVC course that takes forever to assemble and take in because it is in really rough shape.

The application is about 25-40 feet of water depending on where in the course we are. And the installation is seasonal - we will install in June and remove in September.

I'm looking at EZ-Slalom and Insta-Slalom. I know both are portable courses. One thing that frustrates me about the websites is that there are no pictures showing the mechanism that makes these things telescope.

We have minor problems with Jet Skis, etc - a sinkable course would be awesome but it looks like they're not made anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Should we not be looking at a portable course?

Thanks!
i've got a used EZ-Slalom course for sale if your interested, I'm in seacoast area of New Hampshire...PM me...
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH