Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-27-2004, 07:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 1989 ProStar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via AIM to fmoser
Shopping for a new board. Help?

OK, I may be an old guy but I am in the market for a new wakeboard. I own a Connelly Blade from years past and it is adequate but after riding a friends CWB I'm more than a little disappointed with its performance. The blade is not twin tipped and is horrible to control when going backwards. I looked a Hyperlite today but would like a little input from someone not trying to sell me something.

Just a few questions to get this started.

Three stage rocker or continuous rocker, which is better at what?

Fin in the middle or not?

Connelly or Hyperlite? Doesn't appear I have much choice if I'm going to buy local.

I little bit about how I ride. I like AIR! I do some wake-to-wake tricks but it's been sometime since I even tried the barrel roll I use to be able to land regularly.

Help!
Old 09-28-2004, 06:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Sorry - I can't help on your decision process... however - don't get rid of your old blade though. I have one of those antiques. I removed the bindings & use it to teach barefooters. The blade is perfect since it doesn't have TONS of floatation & be sat on in the water fairly easily. It's also rather narrow, so it's easy to put your feet in the water.

Excellent "learn to barefoot" toy. I put some grip-tape on the top & took it out like a wake skate. That was fun also!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
TT Regular

I never even considered it but sounds like a good idea! Sure beats the endless attempts at a deep water start. Thats how I learned but it sure will help when I start to try again!

Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
If you want to go with air they you want the fin in the middle.
Side fins are for rails and kickers.
I have a hyperlite and love it. I've tried others and wouldnt trade it for any of them, except that other hyperlite...

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none but i ski behind prostar190
yea hyperlight is pretty amazing i have had my hyperlight for about 3 or 4 years now.. i would say get a hyperlight
Old 09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
TT Regular

Thanks! The local Sun & Ski has a Parks for $289.00 and if I try the demo they will deduct that from the purchase price when I decide. is that a good price?

I'm more interested in getting air than I am doing the kickers. Nothing like that feeling of AIR! I can't wait to land the barrel roll I use to do years ago.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:03 PM
TT Admin

Boat: I can check-out any MC boat - why own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoser

1) Three stage rocker or continuous rocker, which is better at what?

2) Fin in the middle or not?

3) Connelly or Hyperlite? Doesn't appear I have much choice if I'm going to buy local.
1) 3stage gives more pop but the take off is more abrupt and takes more control. Continuous won't give as much pop but has a more predictable, smoother take off. It's all preference...

2) All boards these days (newer ones) come with side fins (attachable or molded). The side fins give the board grip when you are riding on an edge (cutting). The middle fin just give you more stability when riding flat on the board. If you remove it the board become a bit more "slippery" to ride on. When you get good enough you will eventually remove the center because you won't need the extra "crutch" for balance. Get a board with side fins definately. The center fin is up to you to add or remove depending on how you like to ride.

3) CWB or HL? It's all preference. They are both great board companies. Try some out and choose which one you like best.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:44 PM
TT Regular

How about Liquid Force?

I have pretty good control. I use to be able to do a barrel roll just haven't gotten the nerve to try it yet.