Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-03-2006, 05:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '02 X-Star
Question for P-Hat in Cincy

Just curious to see how well your new setup drains with the fill/drain line on top of the sac. Seems like it would be less work for the pump to fill but how well does it drain? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

...or anybody else that fills and drains through the top of the sac.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 AM
TT Regular

My old setup had a self priming pump filling/emptying from the top of the bag. I did NOT have any vent lines as well. This setup worked fine for me since the bag was somewhat 'air tight' it would collapse as it drained and had no problems sucking water.

I suppose you could have a vent line and a check valve with the same results.

My new system (Pro X Bags) has the self priming pump to fill on the top hole (this elimates the old issue of the 01XStars not priming to fill) and an aerator to empty in the bottom hole...Have not had a prming issue since there's always water pushing against the pump.

Last edited by xbrdr1; 04-04-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
'02Xrider,
As xbrdr1 mentioned, there are swing check valves in all vent lines. They have specified orientations in order to seal and allow air/water out, but not in. To answer your question on how well they work...they'll make the bags look like a raisin (it gets all the water out).
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Paul
Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Paul, just to clarify, you are using self priming pumps to fill and drain on the same line correct? or do you have a seperate pump for each?

I've got an '02 x w/ the ballast puppies and am thinking about setting up as you have done. The fill to the top makes sense to me because there would be less water for the pump to push against, just was not sure if the same set up would allow the sac to be completely drained. I see where installing check valves on the overflow would let that happen.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Terry,
To clarify. The Simers are self-priming, reversible pumps and (in my setup) each has it's own thru hull for intake/outlet...1 pump = 1 hole in hull below waterline. I have 2 holes in the bottom of the hull to feed the 2 rear bag pumps. I have 2 holes in the transome (below waterline at standstill/idle) to feed the 2 pumps for the center bag and bow bag. Additionally, each pump/bag has it's own above waterline (just below rubrail) thru hull for venting.

Take a look here to get overall boat link to project thread. Or here for direct link to install. When viewing the overall boat link, look for the ballast section and there will be some pictures as well as a clickable "here" to take you to the install thread. There are a lot of pictures there.

Let me know if you need further clarification!
Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by P-hat_in_Cincy; 04-04-2006 at 04:11 PM.