Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Any Escalade owners (or possibly Yukon XL/Suburban) with rooftop cargo box?

So I have an older Thule Ascent cargo roof box that I used on my Denali XL that I love, but it doesn't fit right on my Escalade. Just realized last night. It fits too far back no matter what position I have my crossbars in because there are only 4 or 5 positions for the crossbars. It would fit on the two furthest forward positions, but it would be practically hanging over the windshield. On the old Yuk, I could slide the crossbars across the rails and lock them down where I wanted them, but on the new rig, I'm limited to those 4 or 5 mount points for the crossbars. When I mount the box up there, the back lift gate hits the back of the box, even if I slide the box to the furthest forward adjustment it has. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, what are you guys using? Anybody been down this path recently?

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Can you get a 3rd party crossbar system from Thule or Yakima that you could remove when you're not using the box?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Can you get a 3rd party crossbar system from Thule or Yakima that you could remove when you're not using the box?
Yeah, looking into that, but from what I can tell because I have the flush mounted rails front to back (versus raised), anything aftermarket (Thule, Yakima, etc.) has to use the same mounting holes that my current OEM crossbars use. I found a youtube video from rackoutfitters and it looks like they're using the furthest front mount point, but the box is an XXL, mine is just considered an XL I believe. I think I'll go home and see how it looks moving it forward. May not be ideal aesthetically, but will get me through the summer. Not crazy about spending ~$1000 on a new box. I was just hoping maybe some of you guys have gone through this recently and I was missing something obvious.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS
I have thule bars that I am looking to sell and they come with the Podium foot pack so you would just need to get the fit kit. It may give you a bit more flexibility: https://www.amazon.com/Thule-KIT3142...kit&th=1&psc=1

You would need kit 4041
Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 197 TT 2007
My Yakima skybox hangs over the front a little as well. They could have put a few more setting for those bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstaslp View Post
I have thule bars that I am looking to sell and they come with the Podium foot pack so you would just need to get the fit kit. It may give you a bit more flexibility: https://www.amazon.com/Thule-KIT3142...kit&th=1&psc=1

You would need kit 4041
Thanks, but I don't think that will get me anything more than what I already have, because those feet have to mount to the same spot my current OEM crossbars are. Appreciate it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs67 View Post
My Yakima skybox hangs over the front a little as well. They could have put a few more setting for those bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I just got home, I'm going to go move it forward one and see how it looks. Maybe I can find a deal on an XXL come winter. Thule definitely has it figured out though, they offer only so much adjustment inside the box front to back. They're not dumb!

2003 X-2 MCX