Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 190 PROSTAR STARS & STRIPS LT-1
Upholstery cleaning

Hi there,
Just pulled out my boat from storage and cleaning it up and getting it ready for boating season here in Wisconsin. I have what looks like mold in between the seat areas and is discolored I tried using regular household cleaners like fantastic, it helped some but still looks bad. Does anyone have any cleaning suggestions that will help in getting it back to the white color it is supposed to be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Chucker
Old 04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
cleaning the vinyl

try the advice here:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7862

I just looked it up yesterday, as I had some trouble spots to get done. I had the same issue - Fantastic almost did it but not quite in all locations. I am going to go back and hit it with that Mr Clean Magic Eraser next.

Everybody will tell you the key is rinse off the agent you use, and promptly protect with 303 or similar product....
Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-10 2004 350MCX
Do a search in the forum under Mildew. Many of us have posted our cleaner of choice. Most of us all agree to finish off cleaning with 303 Aerospace protectant. You may also want to invest in a dehumidifier. You can find them from Overtons or you can get them from you local hardware store, usually used in closets & attics. They make ones that dont use electricity & use replaceable moisture absorbing crystals. Work pretty good. Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Magic Eraser supposedly works wonders. All I can add is that you should resist the temptation to use anything with bleach in it. It will eat up the threads.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Magic Eraser supposedly works wonders. All I can add is that you should resist the temptation to use anything with bleach in it. It will eat up the threads.
It also works wonders with no effort at removing the scuffs from the boat buddies.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
That's good to know. No more acetone.

I'm back on the boat buddy after I put some carpet on it. No more marks on the bow.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.