Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-02-2006, 11:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990, TRI STAR, 351
Gel Coat Repair Tips??

I've never dealt with Gel-coat repairs at all, but my 1990 Tri-Star has a nice ding in its nose (courtesy of my brother's inability to steer striaght through a tunnel !), and I'd love to get it patched up. Anyone have any experience with this sort of repair (see pictures below)? How big a job am I getting myself into? THANKS,
Pat
Attached Images

Last edited by pwillcutts; 04-02-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
1. YELL AT BROTHER
2. Call up local dealer
3. Get Estimate
4. Complain about estimate being expensive
5. Remember that BROTHER is paying for it.
6. Relax now that your boat is back to 100%

In all honesty, that is a nice ding....I would leave it up to the professionals especially with all the spidering that has happened.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I would not advise you to repair it yourself. It is a big job, but it is ultimately your choice, of course. If you take it to a reputable fiberglass shop, they will be able to fix it with no issues. The spider-cracking that was caused by the impact is like cancer, if it is not attended to, it will spread like crazy. To solve the spidercracking problem, the shop will grind out each crack and build it back up with very fine glass mat. Looking at the pictures, I would imagine that it is about a $300 repair, based on what my fiberglass guy charges. Good luck! Damn brothers...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:43 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillcutts
I've never dealt with Gel-coat repairs at all, but my 1990 Tri-Star has a nice ding in its nose (courtesy of my brother's inability to steer striaght through a tunnel !), and I'd love to get it patched up. Anyone have any experience with this sort of repair (see pictures below)? How big a job am I getting myself into? THANKS,
Pat
Looks like a lot more than just gelcoat - the surrounding cracking looks like significant impact damage to the fiberglass underneath extending well beyond just the missing gelcoat. I'd take it to a professional, no question.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
TT Regular

Thanks guys. I had the feeling I was getting in over my head as a DIY project on this one. I took your advice and went to my local MC dealer. They are contacting MC factory with my hull #, and hopefully they can get a color match for the gel coat. I'll post a pic when they finish it....hopefully soon! Not long till sumer now !
Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
TT Regular

how long to hear from MasterCraft ??

Anyone know how long i should expect to wait from H.Q. about a service inquiry / gelcoat color match question that my dealer sent over 2 weeks ago? Either MasterCraft has dropped the ball or my dealer has, but I'm eager to get the right color gel coat and complete the job. on my TriStar I gave my Dealer my hull ID # weeks ago, but they just keep telling me Mastercraft has not yet responded?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillcutts
Anyone know how long i should expect to wait from H.Q. about a service inquiry / gelcoat color match question that my dealer sent over 2 weeks ago? Either MasterCraft has dropped the ball or my dealer has, but I'm eager to get the right color gel coat and complete the job. on my TriStar I gave my Dealer my hull ID # weeks ago, but they just keep telling me Mastercraft has not yet responded?
Two weeks seems to long. Last summer I repaired a ding, called MC myself got the color/name of my gelcoat, called up Spectrum (manufacturer of gelcoat for many boats including MC) and had a "paste" gelcoat delivered in three days. Once you now the color of your gelcoat go to spectrumcolor.com or call them.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft ski stars N strips 1984 PCM 351
I am in the process of doing the entire gelcoat on my 84 S&S. I started talking with Spectrum, but end up doing business with mini-craft of Fllorida (www.minicraft.com). They were much more helpful than Spectrum. You can give them your hull # and they can give you the right color. They could not match my red (neither could MC or Spectrum, records only go back to 1987), co I sent them a sample for the match. I suggested you contact them.

Grease
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
[quote=pwillcutts]Anyone know how long i should expect to wait from H.Q. about a service inquiry / gelcoat color match question that my dealer sent over 2 weeks ago? Either MasterCraft has dropped the ball or my dealer has, but I'm eager to get the right color gel coat and complete the job. on my TriStar I gave my Dealer my hull ID # weeks ago, but they just keep telling me Mastercraft has not yet responded? [/QUOTE

Call Greg Clower [customer relations] @ MC 1-800-443-8774 or gregory.clower@Mastercraft.com and present him with your problem of not getting any feedback from anyone. He will get to the bottom of it, and get you your answer.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Here are some good tips on gelcoat repair.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.