Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-26-2004, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
Flush Pro

I have a flush pro installed on my 02 PS197. Does anyone know how to get the fp to suck eco-friendly anti freeze out of a gallon jug? I tried duct taping the raw water inlet under the boat but no go.

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
How about permanently installing a seacock shutoff valve in the water inlet line between the Flush Pro and the hull?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
I called the folks at flush pro today and that's what they suggested. Problem is I don't have enough room between the hull and the fp for it. They didn't have any other suggestions. I was hoping the collective brains of this board...which I have found to be very good...could come up with something.

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-27-2004, 10:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently have Four
Jmac,
Would it be possible to splice in a longer length of hose to form a loop and install a ballcock valve inline instead of at the through-hull? Again, just a thought.

Dr N.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNautica
Jmac,
Would it be possible to splice in a longer length of hose to form a loop and install a ballcock valve inline instead of at the through-hull? Again, just a thought.

Dr N.
or remove the hose from the thru-hull and put it down in the jug??
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:26 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I wasted $ on a flush pro too & installed it myself in order to use the winterization feature for low pressure water supplies or no water supply at all situations. After many calls to perko I have given up. It will not allow the motor to pull water(let alone anti-freeze) from a bucket.
The one thing I didnt try was to plug the raw water intake and then raise the bucket supply above the motor and siphon it to get it started...... PITA!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Why not make a hose adaptor to connect to the flush pro with a female garden hose fitting on one end and a hose with a large enough I/D to fit over the whole mouth of the anti-freeze jug. Have a couple jugs handy, drain the water out, attach the adaptor and hose and suck a couple gallons of AF into the block and headers.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:45 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
For not too much money at home depot, you can rig up a 5 gallon bucket with some pvc pipe coming out of it with an elbow. They sell rubber fittings complete with hose clamps as well. Drill a hole in the bucket, put the pipe through, secure it on the other side with a threaded connection and seal. Attach the rubber adaptor to your tranny cooler, drop a running hose in the bucket and crank her up.

This way, you're not forcing water into your system. Rather, your impeller is pulling the water as it's designed to do. I like this better than using garden hoses as the engine can put enough pressure on a regular hose to close it off. This is not a problem with PVC. Plus, adding antifreeze in the wintertime is the easiest thing in the world with this setup.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Sounds cool, can you post a pic?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I have been thinking of buying a flush pro for a while now and I am glad I didn't. It never occured to me that it will only work with a hose input and won't suck out of a bucket.

When I run my boat out of the water, I set a 5 gallon bucket next to the open engine cover. Pull the hose off the intake on the bottom of the boat and drop it into the bucket. The hose on mine between the transmission cooler and the intake is long enough to reach to the bottom of the bucket. (I think I replaced it once with a longer length)

If I am going to add antifreeze, I have a second bucket with the antifreeze and pull the hose out of the water bucket and drop into the antifreeze bucket.

I am not sure how this will work on some of the newer boats, but it has worked for me.