Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 03:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: NXT22 2017
MS-RA205 Zone question

I just bought a new 2017 NXT22 and I can not get the zones on the radio to work. Zone 2 seems to do nothing to the sound of any of the 4 speakers on the boat or the 2 speakers on the tower. What is the purpose of the 2 zones of the radio if Zone 2 controls nothing?

I have read the manual and cannot seem to get any setting to change the volume for Zone 2. Am I missing something?

thanks for any help.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
So when you mode over the zone volume screen and turn up and down the volume, the bar scale does not change? Thats step one. Next, all speakers need to be on external amp in order for the zone to work. Otherwise, its glorified fade
Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
I assume you have an amp? If Yes, the problem is that the zones only work if you DO NOT have an amp. The zones on the 205 are only when you use the radio speaker outs, not the single pre-amp out. If you have a separate amp for the tower speakers, you can use on of the JL remotes.https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BfSaQ1...g&awug=9013085

I have one on mine and just mounted it on the "lip" black part of the dash facing down under the stop start button.
2002 White and Yellow 209
Old 06-05-2017, 04:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X10
SteveO is correct. The only way you can get zone 2 to work through the head unit is by using the speaker outputs. If you are running an amp then the orange RCA set is for the sub and the red/white set is for zone 1 only.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 NXT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I assume you have an amp? If Yes, the problem is that the zones only work if you DO NOT have an amp. The zones on the 205 are only when you use the radio speaker outs, not the single pre-amp out. If you have a separate amp for the tower speakers, you can use on of the JL remotes.https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BfSaQ1...g&awug=9013085

I have one on mine and just mounted it on the "lip" black part of the dash facing down under the stop start button.
SteveO - from your pics I didn't believe you had towers installed from the factory.... what did you do? Also, did you make any provisions for remote bass control - the same JL pot can be used for remote bass, but can one pot control both amps simultaneously?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 AM
MC Devotee

Just to clarify. The dual zone volume control can and will work with speakers on an external amp. Since the head unit only has one set of full range RCA outputs, which are tied to the front speaker outputs, you need to have all speakers on external amp. You cant have some on head unit and some on an amp. Once you have an amp for zone 1 and zone 2, you use the existing zone 1 full range RCA output to one amp and then a line level converter like the Kicker KISLOC or fusion HL-2 to convert the rear (zone 2) speaker leads to RCA.

Now you have dual zone volume at your finger tips and sub level is in there too.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Just to clarify. The dual zone volume control can and will work with speakers on an external amp. Since the head unit only has one set of full range RCA outputs, which are tied to the front speaker outputs, you need to have all speakers on external amp. You cant have some on head unit and some on an amp. Once you have an amp for zone 1 and zone 2, you use the existing zone 1 full range RCA output to one amp and then a line level converter like the Kicker KISLOC or fusion HL-2 to convert the rear (zone 2) speaker leads to RCA.

Now you have dual zone volume at your finger tips and sub level is in there too.
Convert to RCA yes, but do you really need to step it downtown to line level? Why not just switch the JL amp input voltage from low to high? I'm no audiophile expert so I'm asking to educate myself.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Kenny,

Good question. My response was general in nature without assuming what brand/model amp as on the receiving end of the converted RCA. Some amps accept that hi-level signal by either using a hi-low switch while others have a port and supplied pigtails for the actual speaker leads to be wired direct to the amp. Others, do not. This is where an active device like the KISLOC comes in handy. In the case of a JL amp that has the hi-low switch, you can use a simple passive speaker lead to RCA plug and roll on.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyk69 View Post
SteveO - from your pics I didn't believe you had towers installed from the factory.... what did you do? Also, did you make any provisions for remote bass control - the same JL pot can be used for remote bass, but can one pot control both amps simultaneously?
I had the factory pucs installed and added a JL 200/2 and M770s (the factory install is the lower mx series and I believe 6") I added the RLC to the 200/2 so I can turn the tower speakers up and down very easily. I use the head unit to tweak the sub, but you could use a remote base control on the factory 700/5. The only thing I regret is not having the factory NOT install the 8" sub and then adding a 10" myself. The 10" in my NXT20 hit so much harder than the 8". Anyone replaced the 8" in an NXT22 with a 10" in the factory spot??? It looks like it would be a REALLY tight fit.
2002 White and Yellow 209
Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I had the factory pucs installed and added a JL 200/2 and M770s (the factory install is the lower mx series and I believe 6") I added the RLC to the 200/2 so I can turn the tower speakers up and down very easily. I use the head unit to tweak the sub, but you could use a remote base control on the factory 700/5. The only thing I regret is not having the factory NOT install the 8" sub and then adding a 10" myself. The 10" in my NXT20 hit so much harder than the 8". Anyone replaced the 8" in an NXT22 with a 10" in the factory spot??? It looks like it would be a REALLY tight fit.
I see, you only need the remote bass RCL on the AMP driving the sub. In this way the head unit controls the overall bass response to the system and the RCL modifies the db +/- on the sub line.