Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2016, 03:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X2
Advice for New Mastercraft Owners?

Hello! We have been on the water for years but recently decided to upgrade to the Mastercraft family with a 2016 X10.

My question for Mastercraft owners is this – we are in the final negotiations with the dealer and I am wondering if there are any common upgrades that everyone does/wants which I should ask for? Does anyone have concerns with the X10 that I should know about before pulling the trigger?

Also, for board racks – I want a rack that holds both surf boards and wake boards but I can’t decide if the clamping racks are worth the cost or if I should stick with the bungee racks that come with the boat. The clamping racks certainly LOOK cooler but what are the thoughts of those who have owned them vs the bungees?

Lastly, I want to add aftermarket lights to the tower. We’ve had good luck with lights on a swivel, so you can aim them forward, backward or in the boat (sometimes helpful when getting off at night). Does anyone recommend a particular light that looks good on the Mastercraft tower?

Thanks for your help! We are pretty excited and appreciate your help in thinking through options!
Old 12-25-2016, 03:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Clamping racks period..

Post the build specs of the boat your looking at. Welcome to the family
Old 12-25-2016, 04:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Clamping racks a must. Speaker light rings help light up the boat if you're using it a lot at night. Build sheet would help us provide more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 04:16 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you very much!

As for the specs - we’re looking at a 2016 X10. We also looked at a NXT22, but preferred the finish of the X series and liked the fold around seat more than we thought we would (with a 3 year old and 18 year old, it gave us a lot of options). It has the 5.7 engine and is optioned with the Gen2 system, advanced audio package, tower speakers, bimini, ZFT 0 tower (we don’t have any need to drop the tower), underwater lights, heater, fiberglass platform and both mooring and snap on covers.

It comes with bungee wakeboard racks that look tiny in the tower. We have thought about upgrading to the bungee wakeboard/surfboard racks or to clamping WB racks and putting surf pockets on the bimini. Would you do that or pay the extra $ for the clamping WB/SB racks?
Old 12-25-2016, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
We have clamping wakeboard racks but I'm yet to find a surf board that cant fit. For this reason as far I'm concerned the extra money for the wider clamping surfboard racks is not worth it. The surf sleeve on top of the bimini is awesome. Between that and the board racks we can tote up to 8 boards which is plenty. Other than that it sounds like you're pretty well optioned, the speaker light rings are all pre wired so its easy to do yourself and there are plenty of threads about that on here. Doesn't seem like there's anything you're missing other than the clamping racks. Avoid the bungees if you can. Do you have 2 or 4 tower speakers- and what size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 05:14 PM
TT Newbie

2 tower speakers. I don't know the size; they are definitely smaller than the wetsounds that we have now but they still produce good sound.

Thanks for the input on the racks and I'll certainly read about the light rings.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
We use the surf sleeve for our surf boards. Clamping racks are the only way to go, but you can probably get away with the wake/wake version which are less money than the wake/surf.

What tower does it have? I wasn't aware that bungy straps were an option on the Xseries.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 PM
TT Newbie

OK, you guys have me convinced on the clamping racks. I'll go for the WB/WB type, with a surf sleeve in the bimini.

As for the tower, it's the ZFT 0. They had models in stock with the other model towers, but we will never need to lower the tower so I didn't see any reason to go with the higher model towers.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBridger View Post
OK, you guys have me convinced on the clamping racks. I'll go for the WB/WB type, with a surf sleeve in the bimini.

As for the tower, it's the ZFT 0. They had models in stock with the other model towers, but we will never need to lower the tower so I didn't see any reason to go with the higher model towers.
I didn't know you could even get a boat with a tower that didn't fold anymore, it may be worth spending the extra $$$ when you consider the resale value of the boat.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
I didn't know you could even get a boat with a tower that didn't fold anymore, it may be worth spending the extra $$$ when you consider the resale value of the boat.
I agree with the resale consideration. Is there a big price difference between the folding and non-folding towers? One of the nice things of the folding tower is being able to lower it during transport. It is sure nice not having dead bugs stuck to it plus it is more aerodynamic.

FYI - the X10 is an awesome boat!

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)