Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2014, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC 190, 1984, 351 S & S
X7 ?

OK I admit it, I am out of the loop. I have a 1984 S&S and wanted to know what you guys think of the X7 boats. I think they were early 2000's model years. Problems? Pros and cons?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:02 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
tournament ski boat ( 197) with wakeboard stuff on it. hull was used 2002-2013.

cons: small and low open bow, rookies will get water over front.
pros: very roomy for a ski boat.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190, 2002 Xstar
As stated, the X7 is the 197 dressed up. It has the addition of the tower, x-series graphics, and the biggest differentiator is the single plumbed ballast fat sac that is factory located under the rear bench. It was deemed a "crossover boat" great for people or families that have different water sport interests. A great ski boat, but fill the ballast sac and the wake becomes altered for wakeboarding (rampy etc). The wakeboard style wake is great for beginners and moderately skilled boarders, but an Xstar wake it is not. Ski wake is great. As stated, the bow is a little small and low, but a great choice for those who like to ski and board.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
As stated, the X7 is the 197 dressed up. It has the addition of the tower, x-series graphics, and the biggest differentiator is the single plumbed ballast fat sac that is factory located under the rear bench. It was deemed a "crossover boat" great for people or families that have different water sport interests. A great ski boat, but fill the ballast sac and the wake becomes altered for wakeboarding (rampy etc). The wakeboard style wake is great for beginners and moderately skilled boarders, but an Xstar wake it is not. Ski wake is great. As stated, the bow is a little small and low, but a great choice for those who like to ski and board.
+1 on this
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 87 prostar 190
As the others have said, the x7 is the 197 with the ballast bag under the rear seat, although the sack that is under the seat will not create monster wakes it does give a little more of a ramp, I have the 197 that I have a sack that I can put in although don't use it much.
As stated the bow is a little low but you soon learn to handle that after you have taken a wave once or twice.
One thing I have noticed is if you have people up front in the bow the boat handles differently, the steering isn't as responsive on tight turns it can chine lock, scary when it happens on a tight lake,
If we are to get critical on the cons then I suppose we need to mention the fuel pump it has a varied life span a lot of people have had to renew it, not just on the x7, or the 197 and 190s it's one of those problems that are there plenty of topics on this.
You won't be disappointed if you go with the x7 I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2006, MCX
2006 X7

We are thinking of listing our 2006 X7 mint boat and loaded with options! We are 80% skiers and 20 other watersports. Let me know if you are interested?

Thx Brett
Old 01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC 190, 1984, 351 S & S
Probably too far away from Pennsylvania....but thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Doesn't cost as much as you might think to ship a boat. Just sayin.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
The X7 is great for what it was intended- A Crossover boat. I have a wife and daughter(No2) who love slalom (Great wake, steady pull). Daughter No1 loves Wakeboard, wakeskate). She weighs about 130lbs and with fatsac full can do all sorts of tricks including flips etc no problem. Whole family use water toys. So in all a great all round boat. The Fatsac takes about 3 mins to fill and empty which I end up doing every other ski. With regard to Fatsac the standard Mastercraft retainer bar/kick strip is useless and Fatsac ends up spread across rear of boat like an overfed Elephant seal. I produced a modification which keeps the whole thing contained and tidy under the rear sundeck.(see thread) It also ensures Fatsac"fully empties". One other thing fit green impellor. In terms of low bow you need to get used to it. See Youtube "Submarine" for a 197 in a power turn.