Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 X-10 Past 2001 Prostar 195
The Unlimited is a great choice. My experience is similar to Roman's with the Pentastar this has decent power. Mine is a 13 Rubicon with an AEV lift and 35" tires, the Rubi gears work well for this but your should be good with the 3.73 as well. Ride is fine, but you are in a Jeep. Good running around town and is a ton of fun in the woods. It is amazing where these things will go. Not sure how tall your wife Is but I have a buddy that has 35" tires and a 3" lift and adeed some retractable boards so his wife could get in easier wouldn't take those on the trails though.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski 54545 View Post
The Unlimited is a great choice. My experience is similar to Roman's with the Pentastar this has decent power. Mine is a 13 Rubicon with an AEV lift and 35" tires, the Rubi gears work well for this but your should be good with the 3.73 as well. Ride is fine, but you are in a Jeep. Good running around town and is a ton of fun in the woods. It is amazing where these things will go. Not sure how tall your wife Is but I have a buddy that has 35" tires and a 3" lift and adeed some retractable boards so his wife could get in easier wouldn't take those on the trails though.
I appreciate this advice and this is my overall feeling. My wife is a 5'7" CrossFit beast and i don't for see the height issue until kids. She is the one pushing for the lift and wheels/tires. I'm thinking I'll go 2.5" true lift to be nice to the cv joints. I'll most likely go with rough country as that is what I have on my avalanche and I love it. Jeeps are a whole different ball game. I'll put 3.73 gears on my must have list. How hard did the gas mileage crash with the 4.10 gears in that rubicon and that lift and tire combo?

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 05-21-2017, 10:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dogg View Post
Yep call us out, she does not shop at the mall but yes it's not going to be out on trails flexing out. Automatic is a must for her, good point on the 3.73 gears. That will be a must now. As for the 35" I'll look for options closer in size in a p-metric so that it's not bothersome to drive as much.

Not calling you out. It is what it is. In this instance the rubicon is not for you. Save your money and get the regular jeep. You wont need the offroad options (front/rear lockers, suspension and sway bar disconnects).
If you are not offroading, just make sure you check what axle it has. Lots of auto's have 3.21's.
My other piece of advice if not offroading is make sure you buy a light 35 inch tire. If you are not going to be offroading a heavy duty tire is pretty useless. You will get better ride, and less stress on the driveline with a lighter tire.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

For all you jku owners, if your willing, post some pictures so that I can see color/lift/wheel/tire combinations. On certain colors i like the black hard top and black fenders, yet other colors I like all or partial body match. I know once we get it, I'll be doing 18-20" black wheels most likely on nitto g2 or other nitto tire.

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
My wife and I bought a left over '16 JKU Rubicon 6 Speed manual in March as a third car. We wanted a 2nd vehicle that could easily make it to her family's lake house and this was one that could. Felt like we stole it from the dealer. Absolutely love it and I daily drive it most days to work but that is less the 15 miles round trip. It is basically still stock. Get the max tow package if getting a non rubicon so you can get the 3.73 gears because we test drove several and the 3.21 are dogs before you change anything from stock so bigger tires and a lift would only make it worse. Depending on how you want it to perform i would still say even with the 3.73's and 35's it would be lacking. I'll leave you with this as anytime i question it if it was a good purchase we take the back roads home from the lake with the doors and top off and we both smile ear to ear the entire way and go yep love this thing.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
Quote:
For all you jku owners, if your willing, post some pictures so that I can see color/lift/wheel/tire combinations. On certain colors i like the black hard top and black fenders, yet other colors I like all or partial body match. I know once we get it, I'll be doing 18-20" black wheels most likely on nitto g2 or other nitto tire.
Like i said above ours is still basically stock and only had it a couple months but pm me if you have any more questions.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Rubicon express 3.5 with adjustable track bars, fox shocks. Rigid industries headlights, rigid spots, 35 inch nitto trails and 17x9 BMF novakanes.
Attached Images

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-21-2017, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Rubicon express 3.5 with adjustable track bars, fox shocks. Rigid industries headlights, rigid spots, 35 inch nitto trails and 17x9 BMF novakanes.
Looks awesome Aric, what are the offsets on the BMF's. I like how far they stick out without being ridiculous

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
I would research lifts for ride quality. When I was researching a TJ the rough country was said to be exactly that ROUGH. There are so many lift options out there and being that this would be a daily driver you don't want a rough ride. When I was looking it was terra flex of rubicon express that had the best ride. They are not the cheapest but quality is there.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Looks awesome Aric, what are the offsets on the BMF's. I like how far they stick out without being ridiculous
They were 0 offset!

I would narrow your search to 2013+. With 2012, you get the new dash but old seats. 2013+ gets you the new seats that are worlds better

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S