Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-21-2017, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited advice

My wife and I are in the market for a new to us, preferably used wrangler unlimited. It will be her daily driver, of which it's just around town. This is not our tow vehicle, we have that covered with an avalanche.

What we are looking for is 2012 or newer with less than 60k. Power windows,locks,cruise and hard top. We will be adding a small lift and 35" tires. All for looks, likely only off-road will be during hunting season. I'll add a soft top for summer as during that time she will likely want the top and doors off.

Those of you that own them, can you give me some positive and negative input. Things to like the out for? What years are good or options that are good. I like rubicon's but not in my budget, looking towards a sport or Sahara.

Thanks in advance

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
How far commute? What are your expectations for comfort of ride? Quite a few Jeep owners here. Wife loved her 2DR wrangler as a daily driver. It was not lifted though. With the wrong tires and lift it could be a handful to daily drive
Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Do not put load range E tires on them. Mine was a commuter and I didn't even own it long enough for the temp tags to expire because of how miserable my rubicon on a 3.5 inch rubicon express lift and 35 inch trail traps rode. Even had fox shock. My stock 2 door rode great actually.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
It's been a while since I shopped JKs so I'm going out from memory. My biggest concern would be the gear ratio if you are planning on running 35s. The rubi's come factory with 4.10 I'm not sure what is standard on a Sahara. My sister has a 2015 unlimited sahara and she has 3.73 iirc. She recently put on 35s. The factory size was 32". So far they seem to be happy with how it's working. This was more for show also. She has the 6 speed manual. I drove it once and I was really impressed with the anti roll back system. Any lower gear ratio and you will be miserable with the lack of power without a regear.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
I only have experience with the newer pentastar.

That being said all the jeep owners I have talked to say the pentastar is leaps and bounds better then the previous engine, especially fuel mileage.

Do not get 3.21 gears. They are TERRIBLE, especially is you get the automatic. It will hunt gears a alot. 3.73 gears are the gears to get for a blend of good fuel economy and power. I cant stress this one enough. 3.21's ruin the thing.

For a daily driver, I found that when I took automatics home, the NVH (noise vibration harshness) would bother me more. The 6 speed manual made the jeep more fun to drive so the NVH bothered me less. IF your wife cant drive manual than this is moot.

I hated the way short wheel base jeeps drove. Great for when your actually offroading, but on road the short wheel base sucks. Sucks in the snow and just generally not a good riding vehicle. If you ever want to tow, Do not even consider the short wheel base (And I think towing 10k with a 1/2 ton isnt a such a big deal as most people here lol).

Ok I just saw you want to add a lift and 35's. Dont even consider 3.21's. I think 3.73 might be ok with a manual. You are better off with 4.10s though.

Im assuming you are mall crawling with this?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
How far commute? What are your expectations for comfort of ride? Quite a few Jeep owners here. Wife loved her 2DR wrangler as a daily driver. It was not lifted though. With the wrong tires and lift it could be a handful to daily drive
Our commute to our business from our home is 5-7 mins. Otherwise just running around town or out to the lake house ~1 hr each way. A couple of 14hr round trip runs per summer, but no towing. We can always take the avalanche for those trips too. 2dr is not an option as this could be a kid getter in the future. We do not have kids yet. Comfort is subjective, my avalanche is a z71 on a 2.5 level and 33"load e tires. I rides rougher that most would like but does not bother us.

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I only have experience with the newer pentastar.

That being said all the jeep owners I have talked to say the pentastar is leaps and bounds better then the previous engine, especially fuel mileage.

Do not get 3.21 gears. They are TERRIBLE, especially is you get the automatic. It will hunt gears a alot. 3.73 gears are the gears to get for a blend of good fuel economy and power. I cant stress this one enough. 3.21's ruin the thing.

For a daily driver, I found that when I took automatics home, the NVH (noise vibration harshness) would bother me more. The 6 speed manual made the jeep more fun to drive so the NVH bothered me less. IF your wife cant drive manual than this is moot.

I hated the way short wheel base jeeps drove. Great for when your actually offroading, but on road the short wheel base sucks. Sucks in the snow and just generally not a good riding vehicle. If you ever want to tow, Do not even consider the short wheel base (And I think towing 10k with a 1/2 ton isnt a such a big deal as most people here lol).

Ok I just saw you want to add a lift and 35's. Dont even consider 3.21's. I think 3.73 might be ok with a manual. You are better off with 4.10s though.

Im assuming you are mall crawling with this?

Yep call us out, she does not shop at the mall but yes it's not going to be out on trails flexing out. Automatic is a must for her, good point on the 3.73 gears. That will be a must now. As for the 35" I'll look for options closer in size in a p-metric so that it's not bothersome to drive as much.

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 05-21-2017, 06:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I wanted to pull my hair out on my 10 mile commute. I couldn't even imagine road tripping in a lifted JKU. Mine rode rougher than my f150 on a 7 inch lift.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-21-2017, 06:42 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Honestly, it's a jeep it's not gonna ride great.

Run a small lift. 35s and proper air pressure and it'll be ok. My uncles jk unlimited is 3.5" and 37s on 17s.. rides and drives like stock..

It's been on numberous 2000 mile road trips to Colorado and back
Old 05-21-2017, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190 1989 351
Great vehicle! I live in the northeast and was happy I had the hard top for winter and soft top for the remainder of the year. If you are going to lift it I strongly recommend a suspension lift over some of these "budget boosts" that are out there. I made that mistake and regretted it quickly as the ride suffered dramatically. Best of luck!