Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
what about the discovery or discovery sport from lr.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
what about the discovery or discovery sport from lr.
I like them, but I don't think I've ever seen a LR for sale that didn't have something wrong with it lol.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Well you should be able to find a nice 2011-2012 overland V6 2wd for a good price. I think they are just as nice as the BMX X% which hasn't changed much over the years. I find the jeeps to be more comfortable than the BMW since they have very hard seating.
Need 4wd. We're in KC, and get bad ice/snow.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProSport 205, 351 - 285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I like them, but I don't think I've ever seen a LR for sale that didn't have something wrong with it lol.
I owned one for years. Stay away

I know your wife wants a Luxury brand, but in that price range, a Tahoe or Explorer or Expedition is so much cheaper to own.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
You mentioned Acura MDX in the first post. Do your research on these (and any Acura for that matter). Honda/Acura have some significant auto transmission issues, and they are expensive to replace. Not a typical style auto, so not many places will even rebuild them. Had a friend with an '08 MDX with <80K miles...trans started acting up. I currently have an Acura car ('11), and never again will I buy a Honda product. Hate that car.

Anyway, do your homework on the Acura/Honda offerings. How about a 4Runner? FJ? Those seem pretty solid.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Need 4wd. We're in KC, and get bad ice/snow.
So what is your budget? That makes a big difference.....
Old 05-17-2017, 09:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 205 TBI
The LR discoveries seem to be the most reliable of the bunch (of landy's that is) it's 7 seater and can tow very easily.

I would steer clear of most BMW's, even here in the UK the 4x4's are known to be kack.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Not to thread jack since my reply is in reference to a MB GL450, but I think my experience might be applicable.

Three years ago picked up at 2009 MB GL450 with right at 85K miles. As a tow sled, it's fantastic--power, braking, stability, etc. As a daily driver for my wife, all good as well--nice interior appointments, etc. Now up to 120K miles and basic performance is still excellent.

As for maintenance and repair, here's what I've dealt with over the last three years:
  • Have replaced all four of the Airmatic bladders--rear was a very easy job and the front a bit harder as it meant breaking apart the front suspension, but was able to do it all myself (thank you YouTube contributors). Replaced the Airmatic compressor--shop job.
  • Replaced both front door locking mechanisms due to failure--time consuming but not too difficult.
  • Replaced the rear automatic tailgate lock--super easy and fast.
  • Replaced the $5 gasket between the power steering pump and the fluid reservoir--easy job.
  • Replaced numerous bulbs--seems they all started to fail around the 100k to 110k mark, and all super easy to do (excluding the turn signal bulb in the mirror).
  • Replaced all four brake pad sets--super easy.
  • Currently, need to get the A/C fixed--I do NOT believe it's the compressor, but rather a pressure switch that's failed.

So bottom line, no major failures to drive train, chassis, fuel or electronics. All of the above noted items are expected maintenance including the air bladders (but not the compressor). Assuming I'm right about the a/c, then that's not going to be as massive a bill as a new compressor would be.

For me, what we paid in maintenance items is well offset by the savings on the purchase of this vehicle used. Frankly, could not have afforded new and we did get what we felt was a very good price as well as more for our trade than we'd come to expect. Yeah, it's been a pain to deal with these hiccups, but most of these repairs took less time than it would have taken to drive it to and from the dealer/shop. Of course, had I had all this work done at a shop, the costs would have been much higher and I'd be telling a different story.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
How about a used Land Cruiser or the Lexus twin?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
MDX! Anything made by Honda will last forever!

The wife and I had a huge fight back in the dating days when I couldnt take her garbage truck treatment of her car. From that day on she has maintained and cleaned her own car with a strict no comment or touching of it on my part. She kills her cars! Her last one was an 02 MDX and it survived her for 10 years!

3x I checked the oil and had to add 3-4 quarts to just get it to show up on the stick. It also went 8 years with a transmission issue that the dealer wanted to replace, I told them no and kept driving it for 130k more miles, even towing my smaller speedboat every summer weekend for 8 years. THEY DON'T DIE!