Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Anyone have insight on BMW X5?

In an effort to reduce debt/payments, we're considering selling my wife's vehicle and purchasing something older where we won't have payments. To me, it would make sense to look something like Honda/Toyota. To my wife, she's stuck on one of the luxury brands.

Requirements: 4wd, SUV, not a micromachine.

Been looking at the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Benz ML, and BMW X5.

Came across an 08 Bimmer X5 at a good price. Has the 3.0si, and 85k miles. The 85k concerns me. I'm afraid what we save in payments will get spent on maintenance with a BMW, but I don't know enough about them. Thought I'd call on my boat buds who might have some more insight on this vintage X5, and the 3.0 motor, and describe any common problems I may run into with a vehicle like that.

My wife's car has 65k miles on it, so we're not making a huge jump in miles, but we'd be going back 5 model years on the vehicle. She has a Ford Escape currently, but doesn't really love it. Part of this is lowering debt, the other part is she's just a little bored with her car.

Should I pursue the Acura/Lexus route knowing it's Honda/Toyota and keep things reliable? Any other suggestions on vehicles to look at? Those Land Rovers are all over the place in the price range we're looking at, but I know they're all ticking time bombs.

Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Have you looked into the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

They are super nice and make a really nice vehicle. Very capable off road and with the hemi they can tow just about anything that you want.

My wife drives a 2015 Jeep GC, we have 60K miles on it and so far zero warranty issues. Its been a great car for her and its pretty luxurious IMO.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
Have you looked into the Jeep Grand Cherokee?

They are super nice and make a really nice vehicle. Very capable off road and with the hemi they can tow just about anything that you want.

My wife drives a 2015 Jeep GC, we have 60K miles on it and so far zero warranty issues. Its been a great car for her and its pretty luxurious IMO.
I love them, they're out of the price range right now (I think). We'd have to look at the 2011 with the 6 cylinder I'd imagine to get into the price range we want.

This vehicle doesn't need to pull a boat. I have my truck for that. This is just her cruise around, daily driver. No towing duties required.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:49 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
X5 is probably one of my favorite SUVs to date (behind a macan/cayenne) My rule with BMWs is never EVER own one out of warranty. The second I sold my 2011 328, it dropped a transmission.

If you can find a CPO BMW you'd be much better off.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
X5 is probably one of my favorite SUVs to date (behind a macan/cayenne) My rule with BMWs is never EVER own one out of warranty. The second I sold my 2011 328, it dropped a transmission.

If you can find a CPO BMW you'd be much better off.
That's my concern also. There would be no warranty, sadly. Not in the cards right now. That's why I'm trying to figure out any issues with them.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
That's my concern also. There would be no warranty, sadly. Not in the cards right now. That's why I'm trying to figure out any issues with them.
Avoid the xdrive35 models at all costs in that vintage. That engine is a grenade. The 3.0 is very reliable in itself, and the trans issue in my 3 series was probably a fluke. The biggest issues are just electronic gremlins that may pop up. The two piece tailgate is great, and the dual venting panoramic sunroof is cool as well. Idrive is my least favorite nav UI of all time, it is terrible. Make sure you get one with the bigger screen vs the smaller one... my mom paid $700 for BMW to add sat radio to it since she had the smaller one. The soft plastic on the steering wheel peels so effortlessly it's a joke, and looks terrible so also be on the lookout for that. The base stereo in bmws is incredibly impressive, and I have yet to have a better stock system. Even blew away the B&O system my mom had in a later Audi.

Xdrive itself is a fairly terrible system, so don't rely too heavily on it in snow/ice. It got us through the scarce Texas ice storm, but the 2009 X5 3.0 she had back in 2009 was extremely nice. She'd probably still have it to this day if my dad didn't make her dump it for a cayenne. The 3.0 is pretty gutless, but you're not worried about that so it's a mute point.

since it's in your price range, try and have it looked over by the BMW dealer if you have one within reasonable distance.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-16-2017, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
My M3 is a 2008 so I can back Aric up on the iDrive is a pretty horrible interface. The newer ones with multiple buttons are much better. Honestly the navi in this year is poor as well compared to any modern smartphone so if you're going 2008 I'd almost say try to find one without iDrive.

I do disagree with Aric on xDrive. It's a pretty damn capable system and the BMW traction control systems are some of the best I've driven. If you're having traction issues it's usually the tires.

Can't speak to the smaller gas engines but he 3.0 diesel is good and the 4.4 in the M is awesome. I have friends with both and they're happy.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I wouldn't touch any high end vehicle that is out of warranty. Played this game with an Audi A4. Never again...
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
I have a 2006 BMW 650i convertible - obviously different than the X5. I have about 95k miles on it and have been very happy. I do the maintenance, so things like brakes, oil, plugs, filters, etc. Even doing the labor it is not cheap. The car takes 9 quarts of Mobile One per change.

Tire size has an impact on cost, but I spend about $350 per tire every 15-20k miles.

I love the car and the way it accelerates and handles.

I had a 540i before that and it was reliable too.

Too be fair, I have heard many others say don't own a BMW out of warranty, but it has not bit be YET. And I have owned a BMW since 2001.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 AM
MC Addict

Well, these 8 pages of reviews just scared the piss out of me. I think I'm going to talk the wife out of this one.

https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x5/2008/...-reviews/pg-1/

I just wish a Wrangler could pull a boat safely. I wouldn't have my truck if it would.