Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
Jacksonville, FL

does anyone have any insight on the skiing in Jacksonville? how is the skiing on the st. Johns or are there any small lakes/pounds that are public? just anything you know and like about Jacksonville.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
There is GREAT skiing down at Black Creek. Go south on U.S 17 past Orange Park, almost to Green Cove Springs. Little marina down there with a boat ramp. Lot of people into hydrofoiling out there! Slalom skiing may be a little rough with all the wake, but catch it early and you'll get some great runs. WATCH OUT FOR GATORS!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

alright i will be stuck there 2 months for business. just when it starts to warm up enough to ski here in Nashville. i might rent a truck and pull my boat down there, but that still leaves me driverless. are there any cable parks down there?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X5 a.k.a."Lil Mule"
I don't think there's one in NorthEast Florida....closest would be South Orlando (OWC). I'm about two hours from you on a small lake and you're welcome to come out sometime.

Oh yeah, the St. John's river is awesome weekdays or early weekends...always a clean section to be found, but like dog said - watch out for dem gators.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
try lake santa fe near gainesville (melrose). 2 connected lakes approx
3000 acres total. st johns is great when calm. problem is that wind can get it choppy real quick (3-4 ft swells). grew up in the ortega area and many times had to fight the waves to get back home. always
had to plan my day around the prevailing winds. you also may wish to look at the ortega river and mcgirts creek. there is a public boat ramp
off of mcgirts; otherwise, at least 3 marinas close. i may be in the area sometime in may. if so, will try to hook up with you.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '02 X5 a.k.a."Lil Mule"
I'm not sure what part of the river you were at mbeach and I've never really been North of Lake George, but South there are so many sections that offer wind protection no matter what the direction. I've seen those size wind swells on Lake George, but never on the "river".
Old 04-15-2006, 09:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo
I'm not sure what part of the river you were at mbeach and I've never really been North of Lake George, but South there are so many sections that offer wind protection no matter what the direction. I've seen those size wind swells on Lake George, but never on the "river".
river at jacksonville. when wind blows from south to north, seawall on north end of river will spray water 10-ft in the air. as you stated, only calm water is in protected areas, hence ortega river and mcgirts creek. even doctor's lake can get nasty. i used to fish lake george with my dad as a kid years (40) ago. we used to stay in interlachen at a place called sportsman's lodge. is it still there?? are lakes george and crescent lake still basically rural? from what i remember, lots of wetlands that state will not let you touch, and need a dock 300-ft or so to escape tidal influence. instead of buying there, got place on lake near gainesville with house and dock already in place.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

I appreciate the offers guy I might take you up on that, I will have to see how busy Iíll be. I am thinking of moving there one day. Do you guys ski year round? Do you like the area?