Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Skiufool

Replacing teak platform

I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
There always seems to be one for sale on Ebay.
Do a look up on Teak Platform.
In addition to the used ones, there is one auction for a new one, custom made to fit.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!
Old 09-25-2004, 10:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by André
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!

I've been talking to a local guy who deals in "premium" lumber. He says you could build a platform out of Ipe, for 1/2 the price of teak, and it'd look better. I'm thinking of trying it. If i do, i'll design it after the current MC platforms w/o the slots. I'd make it longer too. If i wasn't flat broke, i'd build one and sell you my old one for a good price.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Skiufool

Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:53 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiufool
Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!

sorry bro, i'll reiterate the FLAT BROKE statement. Now if you wanna give me 350 bucks for it, that's a different story
Old 09-25-2004, 01:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!
I built a Marine plywood platform for my '83 a few years ago. It is two thicknesses of 1" plywood covered with marine resin and carpet. I enlarged the size by 6 inches front to rear and it's almost as wide as the stern. It's great for putting on boards and skiis.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Leroy

I tried to find the company that makes the platforms, could not, but did see many teak outside furniture companies (same wood?). Seems like they could make and ship a special piece of teak. How many boards are ruined? Could you get a board and rebuild it or is most of the platform damaged?
Old 09-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Skiufool

I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!

150 seems a bit high

check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=26455

Last edited by H20skeefreek; 09-26-2004 at 09:20 AM.