Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Skiufool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Replacing teak platform

I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2004, 07:24 AM
ski_king's Avatar
ski_king ski_king is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Location: Western PA
Posts: 5,911
There always seems to be one for sale on Ebay.
Do a look up on Teak Platform.
In addition to the used ones, there is one auction for a new one, custom made to fit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2004, 08:44 AM
André's Avatar
André André is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Location: Near Sherbrooke,Québec,Canada
Posts: 4,399
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!
__________________
Keep skiing!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2004, 10:10 AM
H20skeefreek's Avatar
H20skeefreek H20skeefreek is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Location: Southeast
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by André
Depending on the damages,maybe a good wood working person could fix it.
It's only wood,expensive one but still wood!

I've been talking to a local guy who deals in "premium" lumber. He says you could build a platform out of Ipe, for 1/2 the price of teak, and it'd look better. I'm thinking of trying it. If i do, i'll design it after the current MC platforms w/o the slots. I'd make it longer too. If i wasn't flat broke, i'd build one and sell you my old one for a good price.
__________________
ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
Skiufool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2004, 12:53 PM
H20skeefreek's Avatar
H20skeefreek H20skeefreek is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Location: Southeast
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiufool
Awww...come on SkeeFriek...hook a brother up! haha...thanks for the help!

sorry bro, i'll reiterate the FLAT BROKE statement. Now if you wanna give me 350 bucks for it, that's a different story
__________________
ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2004, 01:05 PM
tph's Avatar
tph tph is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiufool
I just got some bad news from my roommate - who had to put away my boat for me today because I had to rush off to work - that he backed the boat up too far and damaged/broke the teak platform. I haven't seen it for myself yet, but I think he may have broken part of the handle grips of the platform.

Anyway, does anybody know where and how much a new platform would cost if it is beyond repair? The only place I can imagine is a Mastercraft dealer. And I had a good day at the lake today before I had to come into work...it all just went downhill!
I built a Marine plywood platform for my '83 a few years ago. It is two thicknesses of 1" plywood covered with marine resin and carpet. I enlarged the size by 6 inches front to rear and it's almost as wide as the stern. It's great for putting on boards and skiis.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Leroy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I tried to find the company that makes the platforms, could not, but did see many teak outside furniture companies (same wood?). Seems like they could make and ship a special piece of teak. How many boards are ruined? Could you get a board and rebuild it or is most of the platform damaged?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Skiufool
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
H20skeefreek's Avatar
H20skeefreek H20skeefreek is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Location: Southeast
Posts: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiufool
I went and inspected the damages today and its not as bad as I thought. Only the outer stringer piece was broken. I removed that one piece and not even the support beams underneathe were damaged. I found a guy on the internet that furnishes teak platforms and I gave him the dimensions and he should be returning with a quote some time later today. I also talked with the dealership and he said he could repair it no problem, but was looking at about $150! I thought that was a little steep! I'll see what happens and let everybody know!

Here's a picture of the damage...Needless to say, a refurnishing of the teak will be taking place!

150 seems a bit high


check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=26455
__________________
ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.

Last edited by H20skeefreek; 09-26-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.