Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '93 Prostar 190
Excessive heatsoak?

I had something wierd happen last night on the boat and I thought I would run it by you guys.

I have a '93 Prostar 190 with the 351 Ford. This is the first season I've owned it and I have put about 70 hours on it. The temp guage has always read fine, around 150-160 degrees. Typically when I shut it off the guage will creep up around 170, never above 180. All of this seems normal to me.

Last night after pulling skiers for a few hours, the last guy was getting in the water and the motor was off. When I sat down to start it the temp guage was pegged at 220+ degrees!! Obviously, I was concerned and lifted the motor cover but everything seemed fine, it did not feel excessively hot. I started the motor and the guage immediately dropped back to about 180 and then fell back to normal about 160. So I shut it down again, and the guage went right back to 220+. I cycled power a few times and the same thing happened. What could possibly cause this to happen? I'm thinking either the guage is bad or it may be related to my alternator problem??

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
I would check out the impeller first and replace it. Pull it out of the housing and coat it in silicone grease in a plastic bag when you winterize. Most people on the board change their impeller every spring. It's cheap insurance. I would also change the thermostat. It should have a running temp of 143 degrees.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

I need to pull the impeller and check it again. The previous owner changed it every other year, the current one is on it's second season, I already have a replacement. I was just hoping to make it through this season.

Does the Ford 351 have only 1 thermostat? I've read about some motors having 2 but I think that is the LT-1. Skidim has a 143 and a 160 degree, which is correct?

Also, how do I check the screen near the transmission cooler for debris?
Old 09-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Leroy

It likely points to impeller, but I think that as they wear out it allows water to drain back out and with less water in the block it heats up like you are talking about.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
It's a 143 degree on a 285ho engine. Alsways best to get the gasket. skidim.com is great for this stuff if your dealer isn't convenient.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:55 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I'm a huge advocate of new impellers each season. Such cheap insurance. Plus, if you have one shred on you, it's a pain to try to flush all the little pieces out, not to mention the potential problems that could erupt following an overheat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Leroy's reply seems most logical.

Can anyone verify that if the impeller is worn or bad, does the water drain back out of the pump on shutdown. If the water drains out and the temp sender is no longer in the coolant water, that could explain the abnormally high reading.

Does that sound like a reasonable explanation? Either way, I'll definitely check the impeller before heading out next time.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 225 VRS LT-1
Send a message via Yahoo to Leec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Leroy's reply seems most logical.

Can anyone verify that if the impeller is worn or bad, does the water drain back out of the pump on shutdown. If the water drains out and the temp sender is no longer in the coolant water, that could explain the abnormally high reading.
Does that sound like a reasonable explanation? Either way, I'll definitely check the impeller before heading out next time.
Mine has always done that. I attributed it to the water sitting still in the engine and as soon as you start it up it cools down. When it doesn't cool down that is when you have a problem. I have see my cars do it to. If you have a guage in your car once it is hot let it sit a few minutes and then look at the guage once you turn on the key but not start the motor.

No one on their Death Bed ever said "I have too much Life Insurance!"

It's a Great Day at AAA !!!
Lee <><
Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah, wasn't really worried that the engine was overheating since the temp came right back to just above normal when you started it.

I was just worried because something changed, it has never done this before. It does not seem like normal heat soak because the rise in temp isn't gradual. It jumps 80+ degrees as soon as you click the key off.

Does anyone know what the temp sender will do if it is not immersed in water? If it gives an incorrect high reading if not in water, that will back up Leroy's theory.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:08 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Does anyone know what the temp sender will do if it is not immersed in water? If it gives an incorrect high reading if not in water, that will back up Leroy's theory.
I saw someone who just reinstalled his water pump. Only problem was he put it on backwards.
The temp gauge never read a temperature. The senser was in air, not water. He never knew he had a problem until he the exaust hoses began to melt.

I believe there must be water in the system for the gauge to have a reading.