Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-2, MCX, tandem trailer
Balance Trailer Tires?

Do you think that trailer tires should be balanced? Would there be a benefit to balancing them? I just bought a 2005 and the trailer tires are not balanced, there are no wheel weights anywhere. This could be a rainy day project, jack up the trailer and get the tires balanced!!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
I balance mine. I would think the vibration is not good for the bearings.

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 81 Stars & Stripes
When I recently purchased new wheels and tires for mine several stores told me it was not necessary. I ultimately purchased elsewhere and had them balanced. It is a marginal cost item and when towing every little bit helps IMO.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandjesi
Do you think that trailer tires should be balanced? Would there be a benefit to balancing them? I just bought a 2005 and the trailer tires are not balanced, there are no wheel weights anywhere. This could be a rainy day project, jack up the trailer and get the tires balanced!!
It can't hurt. Tire shops always say it's not required. I don't know why, after all they get paid to balance and you would think the tires would run smoother and last longer
Old 09-23-2004, 09:48 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I balanced mine when I switched over to Marathons. I feel I'd notice the vibration.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
I balance 'em. It's one less source of vibration.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-23-2004, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Ever seen one of those cars going down the highway with one or more tires bouncing like a basketball? My guess is that this is the result of either a tire/wheel that is out of balance, a worn out shock/strut, and/or improper wheel alignment. You would want to balance a trailer tire for the same reasons you balance a car tire: handling, ride, tire wear, etc.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner