Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
SUV Tow rigs

Just trying to get a thread started where we can look for alternatives to the 3/4 pickup options. I prefer to not have a big truck I would only use for towing and I have friends that say the same. So SUV's seem to be what I will lean towards, tow rig when needed, family truckster when not.

Currently I have a 2010 diesel Touareg but with a buyback imminent I don't even know what I would want to have next. I'm curious as to what is out there and I really like the torque and milage I get with a diesel.

I was reading this article too and it looks like something worth looking into but I don't think I will ever buy a brand new car ever again, I don't want to be the 1st sucker on the depreciation hit and I really don't like the idea of a car payment.
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...t-be-back-sale
Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X10
You'd be hard pressed for to pry that 2010 Touareg Diesel out of my cold dead hands to be candid... (unless you want a newer year one) We've got a Q7 Diesel that's in the same boat and I'm confident that unless they offer a new Q7 Diesel, my wife won't give it up (nor would I).

Its a shame really. I don't think Merc is offering the 350 in a Diesel anymore either...

In a non Diesel - Believe it or not, my German loving car self likes the Durango. I think it's a solid vehicle.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
I'm with you...I have no interest in a full sized truck. I'm not particularly interested in full sized SUV's either, but I think that's the way I'm headed with my next vehicle purchase. I drive ~30K a year, ~5K with a trailer in tow. My 4Runner keeps trucking and shows no signs of slowing down so I'm at a loss on what to get. Nothing really catches my eye currently....
Old 12-10-2016, 01:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Boatless and afraid
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
I'm with you...I have no interest in a full sized truck. I'm not particularly interested in full sized SUV's either, but I think that's the way I'm headed with my next vehicle purchase. I drive ~30K a year, ~5K with a trailer in tow. My 4Runner keeps trucking and shows no signs of slowing down so I'm at a loss on what to get. Nothing really catches my eye currently....
Wait another year for the new 4runner to come out.
Tacoma or the Colorado with the 4banger diesel are also good options given the miles you put on your truck in a year.

As for purchasing new or used, arguments can be made for both. I purchased my Avalanche LTZ new in 2007, paid it off in three years and had 10 worry free years and 115K miles on it. Most of what went wrong was fixed under warranty. My next truck will be new so I can have the same experience as this one. Story would be a little different if I was looking at other vehicles which depreciate at a much faster rate. Trucks and SUVs around here hold their own and the financial gains of finding a used one vs purchasing new just are not worth it to me. This coming from an owner who has no issues working on a vehicle and can turn wrenches better than most. I have enough hobbies that require my attention, worry free daily driver is not one of them.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L Gen2+
The Audi SQ7 has 435hp and 900Nm (660+ lb-ft) from 1000rpm, but I doubt that it'll ever find it's way to North America, ridicolous but that's the way it works...

Drove it a couple of weeks ago and was quite impressed with the Audi's intereur, exterieur is nor really my taste anymore, and engine wise it's not that much of a step up from my current Touareg's V8TDI with 800Nm (590lb-ft) 340hp.

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!
Old 12-10-2016, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X10
Yeah.... still got my fingers crossed on the sq7... but not holding my breath in the states... :-(
Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
Wait another year for the new 4runner to come out.
I thought the 4Runner wasn't changing til 2018
Old 12-10-2016, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
I thought the 4Runner wasn't changing til 2018
2018 will most likely be released mid/late 2017. That thing is old and dated compared to their other offerings and competition.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
What about the Yukon Denali - shorter version - anyone pull with one of these?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:20 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwb View Post
What about the Yukon Denali - shorter version - anyone pull with one of these?
They tow great. Air suspension keeps the truck level and the 6.2 is available on all years.